+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad, really really sad... (off topic)

Default Sad, really really sad... (off topic)

Some of you may remember the x-mas board. My list included an Airedale T. puppy. Somehow, a lill' delayed, but still Santa managed to bring me the pooch.

We called her Frida, like the mexican artist. My mother, who had the idea for the name, later came to me saying that she was worried about the name. Frida Khalo had a painfull life with so many illnesses you'll need 3 sets of hands to count them. And she didn't wanted her to be coursed to follow the same path.

Well folks... Always listen to your hearts and never ever name your puppy Frida.

As soon as she was vaccinated for kennel cough she got an eye condition called "blue-eye syndrome" which temporarily blured her vision. As it is an allergic response, the vet called for corticoid eye drops. But as we started with the treatment, she developed a mild case of kennel cough, nothing to be worried about, the vet said.

I gave her the drops and the baby's flu medicine prescribed for the cough. She was recovering and became an "airdale hound" in the process, as she relayed on her nose rather than on her blured eyes to roam the house and the garden and the nearby front yards.....

But on friday she started to have a bit of diarrhea which became a lot worst with the hours. I rushed to a friend of mine's practice. Not the former vet whoe prescribed all the corticoid and stuff -she made the contact for me to find the airedale- but an old friend who works with homeopathy and works wonders.

He was optimistical.

And the prescription just included a single drop of a medicine 3 times a day. No more corticoids or other "regular" substances.

Well... Frida is very very sick. She's got the worst case of diarrhea I've ever seen in a living thing. This morning she doesn't even want to drink a drop of water, don't even talk about talking a walk or even wagging her tail. She's just lying there in her bed reduced to her minimal expresion.

The vet is still optimistical, he says that's the way the drugs work. I'm not all that positive about it. I've seen animals pass away for less than that. I think she's still with us only because A.T. are known to be such a sturdy breed.

It's really really sad.

Just wanted to let you know.

Best wishes....

Dave and Frida

Dave

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the pup.

Good Luck

Harold

Oh Dave, ...

I hope all goes well.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:8a155]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:8a155]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:8a155]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:8a155]
    Christopher Chin

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear this about Frida. My own Airedale, Gus, has been a handful over the years to be sure but I understand just how you can feel about yours. I'll be holding you both in the light.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hang in there. I can relate with the issues you are currently having to deal with and I wish you my best in every way.

Dave,

I know how you must feel and I am so sorry. I love animals, probably more than humans, and this has got to be hard on you and family. You and Frida will be in my thoughts and please keep us posted on the progress.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks, a lot! I just love my FAOL family.

Here's an update:

Frida decided to stand up after a few drinks of water I managed to shoot into her throat using a syringe. She "did her bizz" and then went back to her bed. At least she wagged her tail a bit and streched her back and stuff.

So seems like lill' by lill' she'll get back on her four. Or at least that's what I hope. If that doesn't happen by noon time, vet says, we'll have to rush her to the practice 'cause she'll be needing an I.V. line to have her hydrated.

That's it for now.

Thanks again for the prayers, we'll be needing them.

Dave and Frida

[This message has been edited by dphotoco (edited 31 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by dphotoco (edited 31 January 2006).]

Here's Frida the 1st. day she came home.

Excuse the garden...not having much time to have it look as it did when granma was here with us.

Make sure she doesnt have Parvo. One of my Aussies had it and it about killed him. My other Aussie Babe also had Kennel cough right after our move to the Midwest.

Good luck to Frida,
    Gotta love those other fishing buddies
    Seege

Dave, I'm really really sorry!

Please be sure her fluid and electrolytes are up to snuff...diarrhea can really get them out of wack...personally I wouldn't hesitate on the IV's.

+ Reply to Thread