+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guides

Default Guides

I've always gone with single-foot guides (probably for looks as much as anything), but I'm thinking about trying snake guides (just for something different).

Is there a discernible performance difference between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    I've always gone with single-foot guides (probably for looks as much as anything), but I'm thinking about trying snake guides (just for something different).

Is there a discernible performance difference between the two?
    2 footed snakes require twice as much prep...but that probably amounts to about 15 minutes total. Personally...Id go for the 2 footed snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    2 footed snakes require twice as much prep...but that probably amounts to about 15 minutes total. Personally...Id go for the 2 footed snakes
    Why? (ten characters)

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Why? (ten characters)
    Never mind...I withdraw my comment....Im not getting into an argument. You asked...I answered.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious why you prefer two-footed guides over single-footed guides.

I actually asked if there was a discernible performance difference between the two, but you didn't mention any. So that's why I asked why.

Just saying that you prefer them doesn't help me any, but I'd love to hear why you prefer them.

Default I'll jump in

There is no discernible difference between single and 2-foot snakes guides to the extent that an average person could feel as far as I'm concerned. It's a cosmetic choice. I like the 2-footed.
    The main arguments people make is that 2-foot guides weigh more. It's like holding 2 different size feathers in your hand. Would you be able to tell which one weighed more. I think not. The weight is so negligible as not to be noticed.
    There is also an argument that says 2-foot guides stiffen the action of the rod. I'm sure that's true but I refer you back to the feather argument. Negligible.
    Now, having said all of that you'll find endless number of people in agreement and disagreement with what I just wrote.
    All I can say is that I've used both kinds of guides on the small amount (14) of rods I've built and I can't tell the difference.
    This is just my opinion and I'm an amateur builder in every senseof the word.
    Bruce

Bass_Bug Guest

The operable word is discernible. I doubt even a lifelong professional fly angler could tell you based on performance what type of guides (single foot or snake) a rod had on it if he/she was blindfolded and everything else (rod size, reel, line weight etc.) was the same.

Given that the amount of metal is actually about the same between both types of guides, the main weight difference is in the extra thread and finish for the second foot. A fraction of an ounce total perhaps for the entire rod?

I'm not really concerned about the weight difference. That's pretty much negligible. What about line friction though? Will line shoot as well through snake eyes as conventional eyes?

Use the ones that you feel like installing or like the look of. This question is like asking about global warming everybody has an opinion but there is really no absolute.

For a truly different experience, use ceramic fly guides. I use them exclusively on my personal builds.

+ Reply to Thread