+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next step in size?

Hybrid View

Default Next step in size?

Since I have the 8 wgt range pretty well covered and if things work out right for us the wife and I will do more ( never done it before) salt water fly fishing.

From the 8 wgt range...whats the next step? 10..?...12 wgt?? Size of course dictates rod blank...reel size...and a reel capable of handeling "X" wgt line along with ( unknown) yards of backing ( 30 lb?...20 lb?)

Present equipment Im told is OK for snook; red fish; sea trout and small tarpon.

Not interested in any "100 lb anything" ( or even larger...geeze)

I'm sure there will be a wide range of opinions on this. I consider the next after an 8wt to be a 9wt. I am not trying to be funny. I have four 8wt and five 9wt rods. The 9wts have a bit more muscle in the butt section and carry heaver/denser sinking lines better. I tend to use them instead of an 8 when I need to use fast sinking lines or expect larger fish or cast large flies or pull fish away from cover. That said, I have tried a couple of newer 8wts that did just what my 15yr old 9wt rods did for me.

Of course some 8wt rods will handle heavier stuff than others since there is a lot of variation between brands and models.

For the most part, I see a lot more difference going up or down one rod wt in the heavier weights than in the lighter wts.

A 10wt is about as heavy as anyone would want to repetitively cast all day and will handle most fish that people encounter under 100lbs as long as they do not dive deep. A 10wt will whip a 100lb tarpon but may be overmatched on a 30lb yellowfin tuna that has sounded 200ft below the boat.

You almost really need to try different rods, though this can be difficult, because there is so much variation. For example, if you want a powerful durable fish fighting tool, the TFO Bluewater Baby (9/10wt) might be just the ticket with its glass/graphite construction. But this might not be the greatest lightweight rod for casting all day an all graphite 9 or 10wt might be what you ned. Lots of choices.

What will you be chasing?

It'll depend on the individual rod the line you match it up with and your casting style, but in general

A 9 weight would give you a bit more oomph on the flats in wind for stuff you'd use an 8 weight for now.

A 10 will tend to give you more lifting power if you fish from a boat in deeper water, and will cast larger flies easier-- a great choice for throwing large menhaden and herring flies for striped bass here in the northeast, roosters in baja, mahi off shore, medium tarpon 60-100, and would be good as a backup on the flats with a crab fly for permit or a tarpon fly for medium to large tarpon that you might bump into while fishing for other stuff on the flats or if you also want to throw at some sharks. In freshwater it would be good for pike and chinook salmon In terms of versatility an 8 + 10 would probably expand your options more in terms of other species you could chase compared to an 8 + 9.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is generally a bigger step up in reels and backing capacity for 10 weights compared to a 8 and 9.

Reels for 8 and 9 weight rods are typically interchangeable and matched with reels holding 200 yds of 20lb dacron/micron backing

10 weight reels are generally designed to hold at least 200yds of 30 lb.

I agree with tailingloop too-- a 10 would probably be as heavy as you'd want to go, especially if you're blind casting all day---

11 and 12 weights have a much more limited application. If you do decide to chase big tarpon down the road you could use the guides 12 weight--- though you'd likely be better off using your 10 if you had one in terms of delivering the fly to get one to eat anyway.

OK fellas! That pointed me in the right direction. Much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread