+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Vise?????????

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Bad Vise?????????

I keep seeing questions about vises such as in "is anyname a good vise?" my question is.....Is there a bad vise on the market that sells for more than $50? I know some of the really cheap ones are junk, and you can find some iffy ones for around $25. I'm not looking for better or worse list but can any one name one that wont do he primary function of a vise which is hold a hook in most sizes or falls apart after a few weeks of tying? ETC.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Yes!
    Wait...
    No.

I think maybe folks (and I'm probably one of them), want some positive feedback on an item before they shell out hard-earned money for what MIGHT be considered a "non-essential" item (unlike, food, mortgage payment, utility bills, etc). It helps ease the "guilt factor" somewhat.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 01-27-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Actually, the vise marketed under A.K. Best's name was known to have issues with jaws fracturing, and I believe that went for over $250. I know they pulled it off the market, then it re-surfaced under the McKenzie name for a while before it was put to rest.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Yes!
    Wait...
    No.

I think maybe folks (and I'm probably one of them), want some positive feedback on an item before they shell out hard-earned money for what MIGHT be considered a "non-essential" item (unlike, food, mortgage payment, utility bills, etc). It helps ease the "guilt factor" somewhat.
    I understand the need for feedback and love the which is better posts. understanding that it is all opinion. In this post I am looking for a bad vise, currently on the market. One that wont do what it is supposed to do.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Hi Eric,

I'm often asked to provide vises for fly tying classes and most of the time the students end up buying it. I usually provide a Griffin MT Pro vise for these classes; it is has a cam-operated jaws and a c-clamp. The regular retail is $78.00. It's been used once so I could offer you a good deal on it. If interested, email me at:

albeatty2@aol.com

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Beatty View Post
    Hi Eric,

I'm often asked to provide vises for fly tying classes and most of the time the students end up buying it. I usually provide a Griffin MT Pro vise for these classes; it is has a cam-operated jaws and a c-clamp. The regular retail is $78.00. It's been used once so I could offer you a good deal on it. If interested, email me at:

albeatty2@aol.com

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com
    Thanks for an offer of a great deal, I am hooked on my Regal. (pun intended)
    It would take a lot to get me to change. Hopefully someone reading this needs a good vise.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Eric

I would think not. Even the EZ Rotary which is a Renzetti knock off, and sells for around $65 is not a bad vise. The jaws are a bit cheap but they do hold the hook.

Quite frankly I think we fly tyers (okay this fly tyer) probably tends to look at way too much vise than what we really need. I was looking at a couple of Bob Jacklin videos on You Tube. It looks like he is tying on a Regal fixed head vise. He may have and tie on other vises but then again not.

For the past year, I have been trying to get comfortable with an HMH Standard. I've had a couple of issues with it but John Albright at HMH has been very helpful and easy to work with.

The only vise I ever bought that I just could not get use to was a Dan Vise. I sold it to one of the guys in our club and he loves it. Go figure.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Is there a bad vise on the market that sells for more than $50?
    Yes, several. Next question?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Yes, several. Next question?
    what are they and why are they bad? I have vises with the brand name of herters, cabelas, Griffin and Regal. three of the four were under $50 all hold a hook. some are rougher than others but all do the job that they were designed to do, What makes a vise bad???

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 01-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Georgy Shragin

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    what are they and why are they bad?...all hold a hook...
    That wasn't the question, and I'm not sure this is a thread that one should start because one runs too high a risk of needlessly provoking/offending someone...unless of course, that was the intent.

Suffice it to say that if your only criteria is if the vise can hold a hook, then I would submit that ALL vises are equal if they meet that criteria...including a cheap pair of vise grips purchased at Harbor Freight. Needless to say, I do not agree with this logic, but it does seem to be many's response to the vise debate...

+ Reply to Thread