+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy turners

Hybrid View

Default Epoxy turners

I"m looking for a fly turner for drying flies but really don't want to spend the money they go for. Any good ideas for a home made one and where did you get the parts
    Thanks
    Ken

Start with a BBQ motor from the thrift stores....I'll let others tell you the rest...and of course other ideas

I used a Mirrored ball motor I picked up at Spencer's Gifts for about $13 then just built a stand for it out of plywood and a piece of foam. Used epoxy to attach a bolt to the motor , to use for the foam to mount on. Heres a link to the motor. I picked one up at the store to save the postage.

Mirrored Ball
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm an electronics nut, so this solution may not work for you.

Many hobby stores in metro areas (Radio Shack is a possibility) sell motor kits with gear reduction systems for under $10. Really, all you need is a DC motor (with an appropriate AC adapter) and a gear set that will give you a nice and slow (300-ish) revolutions per minute. I've seen kits that do this in kid-oriented science stores. Stuff a block of foam onto the drive shaft of the motor, and it's the same thing as a $60 plus drying system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clough View Post
    I'm an electronics nut, so this solution may not work for you.

Many hobby stores in metro areas (Radio Shack is a possibility) sell motor kits with gear reduction systems for under $10. Really, all you need is a DC motor (with an appropriate AC adapter) and a gear set that will give you a nice and slow (300-ish) revolutions per minute. I've seen kits that do this in kid-oriented science stores. Stuff a block of foam onto the drive shaft of the motor, and it's the same thing as a $60 plus drying system.
    300 revolutions / min !!! Mine runs at 10 rpm---the rotisserie motor works great. BILL

If you want to "tinker" go to the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store and pickup a child's motoroized car or truck. (They will look at you funny just as when you go into Michael's for fly tying things).

After striping down to the motor, gear box and axle; you will have all the parts to build a portable motorized dryer.

I used one wheel to hold a foam wheel and cut off the second wheel. By varying the number of batteries you can slow down or speed up the motor. You can get as fancy as you want with your design.

Mine cost $3.00 and a little time in the workshop..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    iaflyfisher

Blog Entries

I haven't used one myself but have been told that Microwave plate turner moters work well.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    300 revolutions / min !!! Mine runs at 10 rpm---the rotisserie motor works great. BILL
    Lol. Yeah, that was a late night typo. I meant 3 - 10 rpm.

Default "Normand The Great"

Gees, Normand, you never fail to amaze me with your knowledge of this FAOL website. WOW!
    Bruce

Default Micro wave plate turner motor

I used a micro wave plate turner motor from a curbside microwave. Works great! Works on houshold current...i.e. No batteries needed!

However, do read up on doing this, as I understand that a capacitor(?) inside the microwave can hold a "lethal" or at least "startlingly heavyduty" electrical charge...

Cost: motor...$ 0

Bowfin47

+ Reply to Thread