+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabo Fly Fishing?

Default Cabo Fly Fishing?

Wondering if anyone has fly-fished around Cabo San Lucas, Mexico? Family is planning a trip there, so in reality fishing time would be limited, but still wondering if it would be worth it to bring a fly rod along.

What species can you get from shore? I think I saw a video of some guys fly-fishing and catching Rooster Fish from the shore, which would be really cool! I've never fly-fished saltwater...I really wouldn't know where to start, so any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Smile

The main species are marlin dolphin and rooster fish. Marlin & Dolphin are offshore. You may be able to catch a rooster fish from shore,but generally you have to cover a lot of ground to find them. There are probably other fish to catch.

I think a cyclone hit that area within the last few years

You might want to post this over on Dan Blanton's site:

http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

There's a strong contingent there that fishes in Mexico, especially along the Baja Peninsula; you'll get lots of great advice there. Also check out Gary Bulla's site http://www.garybulla.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6 and Bill Kiene's http://www.kiene.com/forums/index.php

Enjoy your trip. I hope to get there someday myself.

Regards,
    Scott

I'd also check out Baja on the fly at
    www.bajafly.com They are located right in Cabo. My brother and I fished there and had a ball. We didn't go with Baja, but hired a guide with a panga...talk about a blast. We only fished for two days out of the boat...definately the way to go if you're asking for my advice. We walked the beaches, but didn't really see anything. I suppose it also depends on the time of the year. We went for Valentines day. I would definately take a fly rod with you though, even if there's only a small chance you'll get to use it. It's better to have it and not need it. Take some clouser minnows with pretty heavily weighted eyes for deeper water, and then some that have just bead chain eyes for fishing the surf. If you tie them yourself, be absolutely sure that they have some sort of flash in them, it makes all the difference in the world. I'd also look into taking a stripping basket with you for sure because the surf was fairly rough when we went and it made for a very difficult time casting without one. If you don't have one they are easy to make, and there are several recipes on this site for just that.

I hope you have a great time. I know I'd love to get back down there with about two weeks to blow, lol.

TT.

Thanks, fellas! I've checked most of the links, except for the last one, which I will check now.
    A number of years ago, I fished Maui from the shore and caught fish, but that was with spinning gear. I caught snapper, wrasse, and goatfish...and I don't recall what else.

Yeah, I guess I'll throw a packable rod in...I have a 5pc 8 wt that might work fine, even if its overkill for what I'd be likely to catch.

Rooster Fish are COOL! I'd sure love to catch even a smallish one!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

8wt?? overkill?? I use a 10wt & a 12wt in Cabo. A dorado will have an 8wt for breakfast. I also bring a 15wt for marlin & sails.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    8wt?? overkill?? I use a 10wt & a 12wt in Cabo. A dorado will have an 8wt for breakfast. I also bring a 15wt for marlin & sails.
    I agree I'd need something more for those species!

If I fish, I'll most likely just fish from shore...If I hook into a Marlin from shore...I'll just have to go skiing!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread