Hello everyone!

By way of introduction, my name is Rick Heider and I am one of the owners of Angler Sport Group. ASG is a US fly fishing distributor to over 1000 fly shops (and others) including products like Marryat, Daiichi and Wheatley. We also distribute over 400 varieties of fly boxes. You can find out more about us at [url=http://www.anglersportgroup.com.:afd75]www.anglersportgroup.com.[/url:afd75]

I am joining the forum today to help explain one of the features of the Marryat Plus fly reel. You might have noted that it is offered this month in the free drawing. The Marryat Plus is a revolutionary concept in fly fishing reels in that a drag control is located in the winding handle. This feature set a new standard in fly reel technology and facilitates a different way to fish for larger fish. By ?larger fish? I mean both fresh and saltwater fish such as steelhead, salmon, bonefish, tarpon, etc. When I demoed the reel at the FFR Trade Show in Denver in September, some dealers understood the concept immediately. Some others needed an explanation. Still others needed to experience a hands-on demo by the inventor, Roger Ritter, of Marryat. As a result, I thought it might be helpful to try to explain the operation and intent of the winding handle drag system and answer any questions.

The Marryat section of the FAOL website covers the features of the reel so I won?t repeat that now. You might want to check it out first so you can follow along. I recommend doing that right after registering for the drawing!

First of all, the Marryat Plus is an anti-reverse reel. Therefore, the winding handle does not spin backward. If a large fish is taking line off the reel, the handle remains stationary. For large fish, this means you can easily find/grab the winding handle and the operation won?t become a knuckle-buster. Also, you don?t need to apply pressure on the handle to keep it from spinning. This is important later in my discussion.

Like other reels the Marryat Plus has a drag control located on the side of the frame opposite the side that has the winding handle. Marryat drags are very smooth, linear, and have little start-up inertia. The drag operates as in other reels. You can crank the winding handle and the reel will retrieve unless the tension on the line is greater than the drag setting. The retrieval rate is proportional to the difference between the line tension and the drag setting. Nothing is different here as long as you don?t squeeze the two pads in the winding handle.

Squeezing the pads in the winding handle will cause the drag to increase linearly from the drag setting on the side of the reel to full direct drive. The harder you squeeze the more drag you get. If you squeeze hard enough to get full direct drive you can retrieve line at the rate at which you wind. When you let go of the pads, the drag reverts to the drag setting on the side of the reel. This control of the drag setting is a major difference between normal anti-reverse/ direct drive (dual mode) reels and the Marryat Plus. Typically, in most dual mode reels you don?t have finger-tip control of the drag for this amount of dynamic range. Another feature you get with this system is that it allows greater protection of thin leaders/tippets. You can set the side drag to levels lower than normal given you have a second drag control in the winding handle.

While the winding handle drag system could be revolutionary itself, one of the outcomes of this system is the way it can be used to fish. The Marryat Plus allows you total concentration on the fish, not the reel. Imagine a large fish stripping line off your reel faster than you can believe and heading for some sanctuary. The anti-reverse feature lets you find and grab the handle. The winding handle drag feature lets you vary the amount of drag to control the fish and retrieve when you want to. Just a little squeeze turns the fish. Squeeze and pump the rod to bring the fish in. There?s no palming, there?s no fiddling with the drag wheel, there?s no switching hands and fumbling. Just you and the fish!

Well, anyway, that?s the intent and purpose. Now, let the discussion begin. Have fun, good fishing..

Best regards,

Rick Heider
ASG

PS: I?ll check the forum daily for a while. You can ask any questions you have here, or email me @ rick@anglersportgroup.com or call 585-757-9958.

Features of the Marryat Plus:

Anti-reverse/direct drive (dual mode)
Large Arbor spool
Hard anodized coating for fresh or salt water
Heat resistant hi-tech Teflon drag (self-lubricating)
Quick spool change / Cost-friendly extra spool
Main components are sealed and protected against sand and saltwater
No special tools needed
Made in Switzerland
Capacity: 200yds 20lbs + WF9F or 350yds 30lbs GSP backing
Weight: 191g
Color: cage grey, Spool titan
Easy change R/L; flip the cassette
Quick spool change
Discrete clicker