+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsolicited 'Friend' Requests

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Unsolicited 'Friend' Requests

I see there is a thread about who does Facebook. I didn't want to post a negative response on that thread so I decided to place this on Sound Off as a new thread.

I do not do Facebook nor Twitter nor Yahoo 'friends' or whatever they call it. I just do email if I want to communicate and naturally I do FAOL.

Something that really irritates me about Facebook is that they send out unsolicited messages saying so and so has asked to be your friend.

Well some of those people are in fact my friends so I have contacted them, both by phone and by email, and told them why I was not doing Facebook, hence I would not sign up as a friend.

They were all surprised at my having received that notice because they had not sent out any requests for friends. But, they had also received messages saying the same thing.

Just last week Yahoo joined in the group of unsolicited messages. I received an email from Yahoo saying Henry Hoffman wanted me to join him as a friend. Well I am friends with Henry so I sent him an email saying I don't do that, I just do email. He wrote back saying he never sent out any requests for 'friends' on Yahoo.

I don't like being scammed and they are scamming us just to try to build up their list of people so they can sell more advertising space. That really irritates me.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I dont blame you Larry. I dont do any of that garbage either. People plaster their personal info all over the internet than act surprised when someone steals their ID...etc. Geeze!

If anyone wants to talk to me..they can email me or call me on the telephone..or let me know and I'll call THEM on the telephone ( unlimited long distance free)

Blog Entries

This is a result of folks using their address book when they first sign up for one of these social networking sites to get started with adding friends or contacts.

Moral of the story? Add folks one by one so you don't irritate folks with the mass friend requests.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

i do facebook and find it rather interesting. i choose people i friend not the other way around. Firefox and 2 addons control the ads, (NoScript and Adblock+). only java scripts and java that i allow run and no ads run. facebook settings control what notifications i recieve in facebook and email. only i can see my personal details. facebook settings are easy to use and very effective. if facebook were to change to the point that there's no control i'd leave. there's plenty of web sites to learn the facebook settings and if anyone decides to use this phenomenom i'd strongly suggest to read before joining. And use firefox and the 2 addons i mentioned above. one thing is for sure. if someone wants your data they'll get it, the best we can do and still manage fairly free use of the internet is to read, understand and use security best practices. ok off soapbox.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Larry, I'm with you. Does this mean that Ladyfishers current article on 'Dinosaurs' applies to us?

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Larry, I'm with you. Does this mean that Ladyfishers current article on 'Dinosaurs' applies to us?

Kelly.
    From one dinosaur to another, yes, Kelly, it does. Why, I bet most of the stuff on that list is newfangled to you guys!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Question

Okay guys. I just have to ask - WHAT IS FACEBOOK ??
    The fish are always right.

Default I don't...

Twitter, Tweet or Facebook. FAOL keeps me pretty busy

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    From one dinosaur to another, yes, Kelly, it does. Why, I bet most of the stuff on that list is newfangled to you guys!
    I confess I am a dinosaur too:

I have a friend at work that keeps bugging me to join face book with her. I have told her repeatedly I do not do that kind of stuff. I don't hold with a lot of the views people post on their face book sites so in the interest of keeping them as friends I just don't go there.

I don't tweet or twitter either though my tail feathers are starting to droop a bit. Put me in something that flings it's wings and I will take you on the flight of your life though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    I see there is a thread about who does Facebook. I didn't want to post a negative response on that thread so I decided to place this on Sound Off as a new thread.

I do not do Facebook nor Twitter nor Yahoo 'friends' or whatever they call it. I just do email if I want to communicate and naturally I do FAOL.

Something that really irritates me about Facebook is that they send out unsolicited messages saying so and so has asked to be your friend.

Well some of those people are in fact my friends so I have contacted them, both by phone and by email, and told them why I was not doing Facebook, hence I would not sign up as a friend.

They were all surprised at my having received that notice because they had not sent out any requests for friends. But, they had also received messages saying the same thing.

Just last week Yahoo joined in the group of unsolicited messages. I received an email from Yahoo saying Henry Hoffman wanted me to join him as a friend. Well I am friends with Henry so I sent him an email saying I don't do that, I just do email. He wrote back saying he never sent out any requests for 'friends' on Yahoo.

I don't like being scammed and they are scamming us just to try to build up their list of people so they can sell more advertising space. That really irritates me.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    This hasn't happened to me, Larry. Who are "they?"
    All you have to do is change your settings.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread