+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HMH Standard

Hybrid View

Default HMH Standard

Who ties on these and what are your thoughts?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

I tie on a HMH Spartan, and I like it a lot. It is nothing fancy, but it is a tried and true vise, made in the USA. It would be hard to get a better built vise. Now the Spartan has only one thing that bugs me, the cam pin likes to slip out every 3 months or so, but that can be fixed. The pin just screws in with a flat head screwdriver, and there is no nut on the other side to lock it in. I can go to the hardware store and get that taken care of with new hardware, but that is my only complaint. It holds a hook extremely well. The Standard I am sure is a better vise than the Spartan, and I think you will be pleased with it. These vises are made in Maine if I am not mistaken.

Have you had any problems with the head moving when pusing down on the cam lever?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

No problems at all. The vise works perfectly. If you go to their website, they have a video of the vises, and how to set them up once you get your package in the mail. I plan to keep this vise from now on. It will be years before I upgrade, as this vise is a solid vise, and to me it was the best for the money.

I have been to their website and have watched their video. Seems simple enough.

I tie about 25% of my time on an HMH Spartan. It is a very nice vise. The only issue that I have with the Spartan (and I don't think it would be present on the Standard) is a lack of room under the barrel - I always get tangled up with the vise stem. Beyond that, it grips a hook like nothing else, is well made, well finished, and an all around joy to tie on.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    Have you had any problems with the head moving when pusing down on the cam lever?

I had this problem with my Spartan. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they took care of it promptly. It's a tolerance/fit issue. There's no excuse for inadequate quality control, but things do happen. I have had no other problems with it. It's the best vise I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by gadabout View Post
    I had this problem with my Spartan. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they took care of it promptly. It's a tolerance/fit issue. There's no excuse for inadequate quality control, but things do happen. I have had no other problems with it. It's the best vise I've ever had.
    That's what Roger at HMH thought might be wrong with mine as well. And I am hoping to feel the same way that you do once I get mine back.

+ Reply to Thread