+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knots?

Hybrid View

Question Knots?

I don't have pictures of this, but I'll try to describe it as best I can. I have seen loops tied in the end of fly lines. The fly line is doubled back on itself and then it looks like it is wrapped with thread and I assume cemented with Sally hansen's or some thing to that affect. How do you tie this loop? I like to have a loop at the end of the fly line for a loop to loop connection with the leader. I've thought of taking a short piece of monofilament and tying it on with a nail knot and a perfection loop on the end, but I really like the looks of the other loop.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Jason, I'm not sure which knot you are looking for. You can try this one http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...geonsloop2.php or the perfection loop on the same page. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...ectionloop.php G'luck. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jim,

It's not on the FAOL board. I'm not sure how to describe it. the end of the fly line is doubled back on itself and then it just looks like thread has been wrapped around it. I wish I could describe it better or had a pic. I've searched the internet but I haven't had any luck. I do remember reading a book by Lefty Kreh and I think he described the knot. I remember seeing a picture in the book, he took a bobbin and wrapped the thread on. I wish I could remember the name of the knot.

thanks for trying Jim.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

The method of folding over the end of the line the securing with thread is often referred to as a "whipped loop". Another way to make an end loop by folding the flyline is too secure the folded section with two nail knots. You can find examples of both with google searches on "flyline loops", "whipped loops", "whipping flyline loop" or variations of those terms. I'd post links but that is awkward to do from my blackberry.

Lefty Kreh does describe this connection in ADVANCED FLY FISHING TECHNIQUES with pictures which help make it clearer. You cut the end of the fly line at a shallow angle about 1/4" long and fold it against the line to form a loop of uncut line. Wrap over this with several layers of thread and whip finish as you would a guide wrap on a rod. Coat the thread with a flexable cement not Sally Hansens. I would perhaps glue the line to the angle with the flexament before wrapping.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Not sure..???....why a person would go to all of that trouble to get a loop at the end of the line?? Many ways of ending up with a loop...even the slip on pre-made ones.

Why not just nail knot a short piece of heavy mono to the end and then do a perfection loop in the mono and end up with a piece of mono thats anywhere from 1 inch to "X" long....??

rainbowchaser, that is the loop I'm talking about! thanks I wasn't sure what to call it and was haveing a terrible time finding it.

thanks alot guys
    hNt

Jason,

Here is what you are looking for:

http://www.barflyfish.com/article_wh...n_fly_line.htm

I have made and used the above and now only use the short (6-8") mono nail knotted on the end of my fly line with a Perfection Loop at the other end to do a loop-to-loop connection for my furled leader.

Both will work just fine. You determine which you like the best for you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

hungNtree:

If you will Google "How to Make Welded Loops in Fly Lines", you will find links to a couple of sites for instructions on how to do this. It is very easy to do and is quick. The only down-side is that it works best if you have, or have access to, a heat gun. Hair driers typically don't get hot enough. If done properly, there are absolutely no hangups ever at the tip, or any other, guide.

+ Reply to Thread