Thread: Dad and the Kid 2010

Threaded View

Default Dad and the Kid 2010

I can't believe it happened so soon, but the chance came and I jumped at it (not so literally given the circumstances), but I finally got to go fishing! It's been two months and the pain of not going was just about as unbearable as the pain from the recent ankle surgery.
    Things have healed up nicely and my wife suggested I get out with the Kid, so we made plans. We were actually going to fish the Vernon Bridge stretch of the lower Henry's Fork, but the Kid forgot to tell his buddy Ryan (EZ) and he and his dad had already negotiated the snowy road into the south side of the Chester Dam area of the Fork so we decided to join them there. This was almost a big mistake as I had to negotiate a really snow-covered trail from where we parked down to the river, and then cross the river and walk up the far side to where we were going to fish just below the dam. It was a tough go, but I had my lace-up brace on the ankle and my new pair of Simms Guide boots to firm things up. I also made sure to take along my wading/hiking staff and it was a true life saver a few times during the outing.
    I also had a very patient and loving fishing companion in my son Michael (aka the Kid, aka mgliss on FAOL). He made sure the trail was reasonably passable and helped me along the way. I know he was anxious to get fishing, but he made sure I got to our desired destination and that I was set up and ready to go before he made a first cast. What a son! Thanks, bub.
    The Kid showed me where they had been the week before and made a first cast to show the drift and 'BAM' he was into a fish. It was that hot all day and we had a blast. I caught in excess of 35 fish as well as did the Kid. Ryan and his dad did equally as well. Most of the fish were in the 10-inch to 12-inch range, but we each caught some standout fish. The Kid landed several in the 17 to 18-inch range, Ryan landed a beast of a Brown that was right at 20-inches, and I landed a nice Brown of 18-inches and then my best and last fish of the day - a huge 19-inch Bow that was at least 4 lbs. Wouldn't you know it, for the last fish, the Kid had gone back to the truck earlier and had left his camera there, so you'll just have to trust this old fisherman that the Bow was truly a standout fish as in my mind's eye I can still see it and still feel it on the end of my line. The toughest part about the fight with the big fish was that he was big enough I had to work downstream to land him, and that is a bit tough while you're trying to maintain drag and the right tension on the rod as you're trying to negotiate a rough bottom with a bum ankle, bad hip and a wading staff to keep you upright. The stars aligned and I finally was able to have the Kid net the beast and we celebrated.
    Some will say I'm crazy, but this addiction of mine is just that, so any time I can feed it I do. Now, I must admit that I'm paying for that trip and don't see myself getting out anytime soon, but I'm sure glad I finally got out and was able to feel that throbbing of a fish on the end of my line.
    The flies that worked best were a red Brassie in size #16, an Improved Shop-Vac in size #14, and a Deep Purple Peril midge in size #14. The big Bow was caught on a beaded San Juan Worm in a red color.
    The day was great as fishing goes, but it was spitting snow as it came on the wind sideways. Glad to have layers and Gore-Tex, as well as a good pair of fingerless gloves. Can't say enough about the Simms Guide boots with the new 'Streamtread' Vibram soles. Didn't notice a bit of lack of performance over felt on the stream bottom, but I did notice that there was NO buildup of snow on the soles as I walked for several blocks in the snow. Had I been wearing my old felt soles I would not have survived the day with the snow mounds that would build up. My ankle would have rolled within the first 20 feet. I am tempted to put some studs in the soles to further improve my traction.
    In all, it was a great trip and now I'll be able to say that I was able to fish in every month of 2010!
    Here are some pics from the day:

Here is the crew: From left to right:
    Ryan and Tom Case, Dad and the Kid. As you can see, the horizontal snowstorm was fierce, but it didn't stop us!

Where we fish: Chester Dam on the lower Henry's Fork. They are in the process of building a new fish ladder on the north side, as well as raising the height of the dam another 4 feet. This will definitely have some adverse effects on this water. There will no longer be a flow of water over this dam as you now see it, rather, it will go through a power generator on the far side in this picture and then spit back out into the river below the dam. You can just imagine what changes this will bring to this part of the river.

Typical fish for the day - not too large, but a lot of them and very scrappy:

In the net!

A nice lower Fork Bow for the Kid:

Ryan (EZ) with a good Brown - 20-incher:

This is what they look like up close, folks:

Where we live - Rigby, Idaho after a great day fishing. This is one of the side-channels of the South Fork of the Snake River just a block from my house:

Well, thanks for tagging along. We're looking forward to another great year. We ended 2009 with a big worry about water, but since 2010 dawned we have been receiving a steady amount of snow and it looks to be another good water year in the Greater Yellowstone area, which will only make for more fantastic fishing on the famous waters near where we live. There is no doubt that we are spoiled to live in such a place and to have so many blue-ribbon choices within such a short drive. I hope that by sharing our adventures you will be able to get a flavor of what this area is like and perhaps make plans to join us.
    Until then - Tight Lines, friends!

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 01-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"