+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference?

Default Difference?

What is the difference between a chemically sharpened hooks and forged.

I would suspect checmially sharpened hooks are stronger and hold their points longer.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    What is the difference between a chemically sharpened hooks and forged.

I would suspect checmially sharpened hooks are stronger and hold their points longer.
    Bruce
    "Forged", when refering to a hook, means that it's flattened from side to side; i.e. not round in cross section but more of an oval, taller than wide.

It has nothing to do with how the hook was sharpened.

Forged hooks are presumedly more resistant than a hook that's round in cross section for the same weight of wire.

There's no reason that a forged hook can't also be chemically sharped, but I've never used any if they are in fact made.
    Bob

Blog Entries

In any sharpening process there is a thin wire or residue of metal left on the edge, the only way that I can see chemical sharpening working is if they use an acid to eat this wire away, this would do the same thing as using a strop on a wood carving knife. Just a final finish to make it as sharp as possible.

Forging is the use of force IE blows to push metal into shape to make the hooks. Forging stretches and tightens the metal by compressing the fibers or molecular structure. Some think it makes items stronger. I cant see that in an item as thin as a hook that it would make a lot of difference.

after the forging they still have to be sharpened in some manner.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I hear tell that chemically-sharpened hooks tend to be sharper out of the box than the alternative. I also hear tell that the chemical process results in less damage/twiddling to the remaining material, making the point stronger and more reliable.

I don't have near enough experience to note any differences myself, and I can't even say for certain that I've used any hooks that weren't chemically sharpened. What I wrote above is just what I've heard and read from various sources. Your mileage may vary.

Normand Guest

heres some articles on forged and chemically sharpened hooks

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...f&aql=&aqi=&oq=

Dr. Hook, pray tell us...
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    There's no reason that a forged hook can't also be chemically sharped, but I've never used any if they are in fact made.
    Apologies for responding to myself, but I just found out that Mustad R50's are both forged and chemically sharpened.
    Bob

Default forged or chemically sharpened?

lastchance, this is two different things. Forged refers to how the hook is actually made, forging means the hook is hammered into shape as opposed to bending or molding. Forging makes a stronger hook for the same weight of material and it will be slightly smaller. Chemically sharpened means a chemical process is used to sharpen the hook instead of the usual method of using a grinding wheel to sharpen the hook, Two different processes to achieve two different goals. Take care, John

+ Reply to Thread