+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxing fly rods

Hybrid View

Default Waxing fly rods

Not to take away from the other thread about car waxing ... but ... how many of you wax your fly rods? Not the bamboo (I, too, like the new varnish smell for as long as possible!), but your graphite rods.
    The first thing I do, after completing a build, is paraffin the ferrules. The next is to Turtle wax the rod. Is it my imagination that the waxing helps keep gunk from sticking?
    What say you?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I hadn't thought about it. But I was wondering how to keep the gunk off the rod I fished this weekend. It seemed to be a trash magnet. More of a static electricity kind of thing it seemed. A little wax couldn't hurt.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default Rod wax

I give a polish with Nu Finish polish a couple times a year. Seems to keep it cleaner and also a little extra distance. Cleaner for sure, Extra distance maybe my imagination.

John, If it added distance, there'll be a run on Nu-Finish!! Actually, would the wax make it more aerodynamic?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I wax the ferrules with paraffin before each fishing trip and wipe down the rod with furniture polish/wax after each trip.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I wax the ferrules with paraffin before each fishing trip and wipe down the rod with furniture polish/wax after each trip.
    Hmm--Im suppose to wax my rods and ferrules after 87 years. My dad taught me to rub the ferrules on my nose oil. BILL

Default Waxing rods.........

Wow !!! What a great idea !!! Never thought about it. Got me to wondering, what about that stuff for making car dashes looks good ? Can't remember the name, but.........

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Hmm--Im suppose to wax my rods and ferrules after 87 years. My dad taught me to rub the ferrules on my nose oil. BILL
    THAT is an image that I can't help but smile at.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

As if a 9' graphite lighting rod in your hand isn't enough? Wax that puppy and change up the ions already emitting from it!!! Dont know if that is true or not, I just made up the ion part, but when I saw Kevin's "static electricity" comment I recalled a Discovery show on lightening where an angler's rod tip took a lighting strike and the charge exited through hie boots.

Got you wondering now, huh Betty???

Many years ago, in my bass tounament fishing days before I discovered the joy of the fly rod, I always kept my fiberglass bass boat clean and slick by using Johnson's Pledge furniture polish on it. The Pledge would keep the outside surface slick and put a great shine to it without the build-up of wax. I have used the Pledge on my fly rods and I think it helps to keep dirt from sticking to them and when they are wiped down, the shine and the "slickness" comes back to the rod. Just a light mist of Pledge, wipe the rod down to spread the Pledge out and then buff them with a soft cloth and you are done. Only takes a minute or two. I use a cotton swab to clean around the guides and to apply a little Pledge to the inside of the guides. Although all of this is not really needed with the newer rods due to the fine finish most of them have, I still do it "just because". I have been told that I am to particular, but, that's just me and my "style". I guess I feel that I cannot afford to purchase new rods everytime my last purchase has lost its "new" appeal and looks and need to take as good of care of the rods I am using.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread