Many years ago, in my bass tounament fishing days before I discovered the joy of the fly rod, I always kept my fiberglass bass boat clean and slick by using Johnson's Pledge furniture polish on it. The Pledge would keep the outside surface slick and put a great shine to it without the build-up of wax. I have used the Pledge on my fly rods and I think it helps to keep dirt from sticking to them and when they are wiped down, the shine and the "slickness" comes back to the rod. Just a light mist of Pledge, wipe the rod down to spread the Pledge out and then buff them with a soft cloth and you are done. Only takes a minute or two. I use a cotton swab to clean around the guides and to apply a little Pledge to the inside of the guides. Although all of this is not really needed with the newer rods due to the fine finish most of them have, I still do it "just because". I have been told that I am to particular, but, that's just me and my "style". I guess I feel that I cannot afford to purchase new rods everytime my last purchase has lost its "new" appeal and looks and need to take as good of care of the rods I am using.