+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WE NEED NEW BLOOD - Bob Boese - January 25, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default WE NEED NEW BLOOD - Bob Boese - January 25, 2010

WE NEED NEW BLOOD

Having fly fished for (how long is it now?) over 50 years, the kindness and cruelty of the sport comes back in spurts.*The exquisite vistas and the zero fish days vie for recollection.*A knowing wife who understands the uncertainty of fishing never doubts that those empty-handed days were really spent on the water.*

Default Wonderful reading!

And what you say is right, of course. But tell me, how do we fix it, or perhaps we really are "Doomed!"

Default We can help

I teach young people to fly fish regularly.
    Remember (http://flyanglersonline.com/features...ese/060809.php) that patience is the most important part.

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    WE NEED NEW BLOOD
    *The exquisite vistas and the zero fish days vie for recollection.*A knowing wife who understands the uncertainty of fishing never doubts that those empty-handed days were really spent on the water.*
    My wife enjoys the Vistas as much as I do....and she knows about getting skunked also....because she is right there with me.

I do see young people fly fishing, but agree that the avgerage age is much higher than you would hope. There is a on line magazine called "thisisfly" that would suggest that there is a whole crowd of younger flyfisherman. At least the publication suggests that by the amount of advertisers who must be buying space. This demographic seems to be pretty passionate, but they really reject the the the guy who looks like he just stepped out of a Orvis commercial. I guess what I am suggesting is that there is a younger bunch out there.

Default Re: new blood

If its made affordable, attractive, and applicable to local species; i.e. don't have to travel 200 miles to do it, then the sport may become popular again.
    The more educated I become, the more sure I am of how little I know and how insignificant I am.

Blog Entries

Count me as a dissenter. I recall the good old days before it was politically correct and fashionable to be a flyfisher, when it was more a "fringe" activity. It was a whole heck of a lot more peaceful out there on the water than it is today. If this sport is dying, you could not tell it from the people I see wherever I go. It is CROWDED out there on waters that used to be remote and wild. How does increasing the number of people make that better?

As a consumptive blood sport (and it is, regardless of how gentle you may be), the more people who do it, the less resource per person there is to go around. I feel that it is sort of counterproductive to bring new people into this sport to, basically, compete for space on the river and the fish that are there.

Making more of us gives a louder political voice, and frankly that is something I avoid at all costs. I am an anarchist, and prefer to be disorganized and solitary in my pursuits. I prefer to be back on the fringe, with historical reenactors and professional English majors and the like. I have never understood the "I do it, so more people should be doing it" philosophy.

So I do not go out of my way to encourage newcomers to the sport. I do not dissuade people, and those who read my rantings here on FAOL know I espouse inexpensive equipment and simplification of the sport so it is more of a populist endeavor and less of an elite undertaking. I will help out people where I can, but only if they ask nicely.

+ Reply to Thread