+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FLOATING OPTIONS FOR FISHING STILLWATERS - Neil - January 25, 2010

Blog Entries

Default FLOATING OPTIONS FOR FISHING STILLWATERS - Neil - January 25, 2010

FLOATING OPTIONS FOR FISHING STILLWATERS

When choosing a floating craft to fish on stillwaters there are a variety of things to be considered. One of the things that I have found to be of paramount importance is portability. Access too many stillwaters, particularly small ponds and mountain lakes, cannot be accomplished by motorized vehicles so if the angler wishes to use some type of water craft it may be necessary to carry or drag it to the water.

I fish from a jon boat and enjoy it a great deal. I might add that for those of us with poor balance and/or failing legs, getting in and out of a beached jon boat is considerably easier than a v-hull design. Their flat bottom makes them as stable as the ground. However, the v-hull boats are more stable once you are afloat. The short freeboard and flat bottom of a jon boat make them less stable on the water, but quite suitable for stillwaters where there are no water skiers or jet skiers. I plan on using mine a lot this next year.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

3. Default

I have a pontoon boat and love it but here on the prairie wind is an issue. Have sence gone to a u-tube, sits lower in the water taking the wind out of play. Great for fly rodding, just don't be in a hurry. But when I am fishing why hurry.

+ Reply to Thread