+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about fly tying?

Default about fly tying?

The best laid plans went awry today and I didn't have the ingredients on hand for the meal I had planned so I improvised. a stir fry curry It came out good enough to save the recipe so I thought I would share it. This is definitely too spicy for some but very tasty.

One half chicken breast
    One half bell pepper diced
    One half medium size sweet onion diced
    One clove fresh garlic minced
    One carrot peeled and diced
    one can of mushrooms
    2 -3 tsp curry powder
    I teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoon flour
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    2 teaspoon vegetable soup base
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups water

De-bone the chicken breast and cut meat into cubes.
    Heat olive oil and add meat, pepper, onions carrot , mushrooms and garlic to hot oil
    Stir fry until meat is cooked through
    Add salt, curry powder and flour
    Fry for several more minutes while stirring to coat all food
    Add water bouillon and soup base and stir until desired thickness is reached
    serve over rice should serve at least two I . have over half left

Fly tying lesson: USE WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU KNOW
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Whether fly fishing or not ... it sure sounds good!! I'd have NONE left for later! You showed great restraint!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Curry

Hello rainbowchaser, nice recipe...wifey made some curry very similar the other night and was going to use some curry powder that we got from Morroco but tasted it dry first and found it to be very bitter. Can you tell me if your curry is bitter tasting when dry but that the bitterness goes away once cooked? Wifey had to use some Farmer Brothers curry that's very old...25 years or so but it was fine and had just a hint of bitterness dry. Thanks in advance if you can help with this.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Sorry I really don't know. I don't think there is a standard blend for curry powder and yours may contain enough tumeric to taste bitter. I do know it needs to be cooked not just sprinkled on cooked food. Maybe Cheffy of someone will jump in with an answer.

Default Tumeric

That answers perfectly rainbowchaser, thank you. Wifey says she'll make some curry with the Morrocan stuff. She also said she tried sprinkling curry on something and knows that doesn't work. Thanks again ! Oh, just finished the last of the recent curry over rice dish and already looking for another recipe.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default And the trick is:

When making any curry dish, the curry powder is added at the beginning with the onions, bell pepper etc in oil or butter. The heat releases the flavor and it will go through the whole dish. *Makes the kitchen smell great too. Sprinkling it on at the end, or after the dish is cooked doesn't do much except waste the curry. You can make curry rice from leftover cooked rice too; just fry up a nice chopped onion, add some red or green bell peppers chopped, a teaspoon (more to taste) of curry stirred in. Add your cooked rice 2 or 3 cups and heat until hot through. (If the dish seems a little dry you can always add a little chicken broth or a little coconut milk.) Delicious with chicken, or any shrimp dish. AND if you have leftovers, they reheat just fine.

Default Curry

Thanks LF, din't think of that but will try it. I like the idea of ways to do something with leftover white rice and that's a good one. Wifey knows way more about cooking and spices than i do so when i suggest your idea she'll no doubt say, 'i knew that'...but still, thanks !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I had this very conversation just yesterday about fly tiers that think you HAVE to make a fly EXACTLY like it's always been made.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Moose here is another curry recipe

leftover chicken or turkey 1/2 to 1 pound
    1 mango peeled and diced
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove chopped garlic or tsp garlic powder
    2 tbs flour
    2-3 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp salt
    15 ounce can of coconut milk
    olive oil

saute mango, onion and garlic together

add flour curry powder and salt and cook for several more minutes

blend in coconut milk and then add meat

stir until desired thickness is reached

I've made triple batches of this for family gatherings by boiling up chicken breasts and using the broth to cook the rice. It is mild enough if you take it easy on the curry powder that everyone enjoys it. Horrible cholesterol numbers though. Hot mango chutney on the side takes care of those who like it hotter. Major grey for everyone else. For my own use I like Madras style (hot)currry powder but use regular for groups.

Default More curry !

Now listen, i have to eat something besides....wait, why do i? ! ! Thanks rbc, that recipe follows the first pretty much 'cept for the coconut milk and mango. Will mention to wifey for sure. Thinking since we both like hot stuff, the Moroccan curry will work...but we'll start off with half the amount called for.

Question, is the high cholestrol count from the coconut milk perchance? That's just a guess since i don't see anything else about the recipe that would suggest such.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread