+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear Online fly tying...

Normand Guest

Default Dear Online fly tying...

...material supplier,

Your shipping prices are really ridiculous! You charge me $5.95 for shipping a few items but when i get the shipment in the US Mail its only $1.56. I am appalled.

You just lost a customer,

Normand

Some orders cost more to pick and package. It could be that the extra $4.39 is a standard rate for all orders. I agree however, it seems pretty high to me too.
    Just sayin'.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Normand -

I understand exactly what you are saying and had the exact same experience this past week.

Although I, too, hate these high shipping costs, it's not all "profit" to the seller as I'm sure you know. That material supplier incurs costs for the shipping and packaging material, his costs for labor for the person who packages it, etc.

The flip side of the coin is going to the fly shop/supplier in person, like I did yesterday afternoon. I needed a spool of 100 denier black gel spun thread which sells for $3.99, so I drove (with my son and grandson) 90 miles round trip to the Hamburg, PA Cabelas store to buy it. Of course, I also had to buy them lunch and a few other misc. things at Cabelas, which cost me about $20, and then found out Cabelas was out of stock of this black gel spun tying thread. On the way home, I stopped at the TCO fly shop in Reading, PA but they didn't have this thread either. So, the entire trip probably cost me $50.00, plus the entire afternoon, and I ended up with nothing more to show for it than an afternoon spent with my son and grandson. It would have been much cheaper to fork over $10.00 for a spool of this thread (including $5.95 for shipping) and ordered it online.

Some days we just can't win!

John

I hate paying shipping charges when ordering online, so I tend to look at them and take them into account when making a purchase. Especially when ordering only a couple of small items, it seems like the shipping at most places is more than what the items cost.

One place I deal with that has great customer service and FREE shipping is Little River Outfitters. While they don't have all of their materials listed in an online catalog, just call the shop and they will pull what you want off the shelves. Shipping is free and is usually the same day. Plus, I think everyone there ties, so if you are looking for something specific, let them know, and they will help you out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob

Try Mad River Outfitters, 25.00 gets you free shipping all day long and they are a very well stocked shop.

Not affiliated they just happen to be the only shop in Columbus and a darn good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    ...material supplier,

Your shipping prices are really ridiculous! You charge me $5.95 for shipping a few items but when i get the shipment in the US Mail its only $1.56. I am appalled.

You just lost a customer,

Normand
    Someone has to pay for the "container" it was shipped in..?
    Someone has to pay for the company to make out the address label and stick it on the package...?
    Someone has to pay for the time involved to do all the above ( the actual LABOR charge)..?

Take your car into a dealership and have them "check the oil" and while they are under the hood...the coolant level; the windshield fluid and they might as well have a go at the battery water level. You can always toss in the tire inflation....and THEN pick yourself up off the ground when you get the bill for doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Try Mad River Outfitters, 25.00 gets you free shipping all day long and they are a very well stocked shop.

Not affiliated they just happen to be the only shop in Columbus and a darn good one.
    NOTHING is free...they just make up for it in other places is all.

Always buy enough to make the shipping worthwhile?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Exclamation

Wow! or local shop charges the exact shipping fee plus the item plus taxes.

It's 106 km round trip for me .... at 0.35$/km it would actually cost 37 bucks for me to go and get 1 item. Shipping a package under 60 lbs for me is 38$ If I order before noon, I usually get the package the next day.

The only draw back with the shop is that they have no on line orders. Geez, ... I actually have to call them, speak with Manon or Paul or Martin and actually TALK with them!!!
    Christopher Chin

This place has given me good service.

Tim

http://www.fortackle.com/

+ Reply to Thread