+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protecting your PayPal account

Default Protecting your PayPal account

I just had something really strange happen to me tonight, I received a email from PayPal or I thought it was PayPal and long story short it stated that there was unauthorized activity on my account and PayPal will put a freeze on my account to prevent any further transaction. So it goes on stating please log in and and confirm your account information by logging in to reactivate your PayPal account and enter all personal and security question, then click on start button. You cant believe how genuine this page looks. OK this is where the red flag went up, my virus protection threw up a flag saying "DO NOT OPEN PAGE" thank god for good virus protection software, I use Kaspersky it is the best. So what I did next was call PayPal to verify this email I received and sure enough it was a scam, when you sign-in and verify all your account information, well to late they got you!. According to PayPal this is what you need to look for

Thanks for contacting PayPal. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your concern.

Hi, it was nice speaking with you. Here are some tips to help protect your PayPal account.
    Keeping your password secure:
    * Don't use your PayPal password on any other site.
    * Don't share your password.
    * Change your password every month.
    Scan For Viruses: Frequently scan your computer for viruses and make sure your virus software, operating system, and browser patches are up-to-date.

Ensuring that emails are really from PayPal:
    * Check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last name, or the business name on your PayPal account.
    * Before clicking a link in an email, put your cursor over the link and look at the web address. If it doesn't start with https://www.paypal.com, don't click it.
    * See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email will never ask you for any of the following:
    o Bank account numbers
    o Debit and credit card numbers
    o Driver's license number
    o Email addresses
    o Your full name
    Check for attachments. We will never send an attachment or software updates to install on your computer.
    Preventing spoof and phishing:
    Spoof and phishing are illegal methods to collect personal and financial information by using fake emails, websites, and phone calls. With stolen information, criminals could commit credit card fraud and engage in other illegal activities.
    Phishing emails attempt to steal your identity by tricking you into revealing your password or other personal or financial information.
    These emails often link to websites that try to get you to enter credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, or account passwords.If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your mailbox.
    To learn more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to
    If this happens to you is forward the email directly to the following email address spoof@paypal.com
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Egad! I just established an account. Not being familiar with it yet, the scammers very well may have got me! Thanks for the heads up and info.

Charlie

bluefish,
    Dont let me miss lead you by my posting, I am just posting this information for FYI. I use Paypal all the time and I believe in PayPal security to insure of potential scammers. The email I received was a new way of scamming the people you just need to follow the guidelines PayPal has laid out for our use, this will prevent from being taking by the low down people, just take note on the section that Say's "Ensuring that emails are really from PayPal" because after looking back on the scam email it didn't starrt off that way.
    Last edited by popperfly; 01-24-2010 at 04:24 AM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

I have posted this on various boards, including FAOL a number of times....it also applies to emails from Ebay.......

Don't EVER open an email from either!!!!....If it is a valid email, you will have a message on their site when you go through your standard opening & login procedure.

When you receive an email from PayPal or Ebay, DO NOT open the email but simply forward, without any note, to:
    spoof@paypal.com
    spoof@ebay.com
    You will be notified, usually telling you it WAS a "phishing" attempt.
    Better safe than sorry...I have never had a problem.
    Mike
    ps: Don't open ANY business emails...go to the company's website. Also, I have NEVER had a "valid" notice of suspension, problem, or request for validation from EITHER Ebay or PayPal.
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 01-24-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Normand Guest

ive been getting that email for years and just delete it every time it comes around again. nothing new.

Lightbulb

In Canada, I usually cc the email also to fraud@RCMP.ca
    Christopher Chin

The abosolute best way not to get a hacked account or pay their high fees is TO NOT EVEN HAVE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got along just fine before they started up and their fee's are ridiculous. And yes you can get along just fine on the ebay without using it, you just have to send some emails.

Fatman

Popperfly, I had a ebay account stolen from me like that. What I thought was an authentic request from ebay was actually a spoof. I reported it to ebay and the FCC but the guy was in Canada and so untouchable. You can bet your bippie I learned from that one. Every time I receive suspicious emails from ebay, paypal or any other account online I copy/paste it and send it to spoof at ebay dot com. That way they may have a chance of catching the would be thieves.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread