+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spotting scope

Default Spotting scope

I'm looking for a good quality spotting scope for a planned Alaska vacation. Dont know much about these scopes but I did see people looking at a wolf stalking a deer on a mountain side about a mile away with a spotting scope. Either someone has one that they would like to sell or recommend one. I would like one that will accept an accessory for a digital camera.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donat View Post
    I'm looking for a good quality spotting scope for a planned Alaska vacation. Dont know much about these scopes but I did see people looking at a wolf stalking a deer on a mountain side about a mile away with a spotting scope. Either someone has one that they would like to sell or recommend one. I would like one that will accept an accessory for a digital camera.
    Thanks
    Price range? Spotting scopes run from about $100 to over $1700...with quality going up as the $$ goes up. Contact these people....
    http://www.eagleoptics.com/

They have always been on the up and up with me and kept me straight.

Here is a good one for the $$....Eagle Optics Denali 15-45x60 Straight Spotting Scope

Blog Entries

There was a spotting scope comparison recently in Bird Watcher's Digest, where they rated scopes at various price ranges. Check out http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/index.aspx and do some digging.

They also have an article on digiscoping, which I have found to be less than possible with the camera that I use.

My experience with spotting scopes is that they are disappointing unless you buy at least a decent mid-range one, and the top end ones are MUCH nicer in terms of clarity and lack of eyestrain. Monitoring a peregrine eyrie with a Swarovski is a whole lot easier than trying it with a Bushnell. If I had $3K lying around I know I would invest in a good one. I also suggest considering the armoring and delicacy of the scopes you choose, and invest in a case for it and a good tripod as well. I would NOT buy one without having looked through it and used it. I did that with a scope from Cabelas for my dad and was sorely disappointed.

Many of the top end scopes have digiscoping adaptors available.
    Last edited by DG; 01-24-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    There was a spotting scope comparison recently in Bird Watcher's Digest, where they rated scopes at various price ranges. Check out http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/index.aspx and do some digging.

They also have an article on digiscoping, which I have found to be less than possible with the camera that I use.

My experience with spotting scopes is that they are disappointing unless you buy at least a decent mid-range one, and the top end ones are MUCH nicer in terms of clarity and lack of eyestrain. Monitoring a peregrine eyrie with a Swarovski is a whole lot easier than trying it with a Bushnell. If I had $3K lying around I know I would invest in a good one. I also suggest considering the armoring and delicacy of the scopes you choose, and invest in a case for it and a good tripod as well. I would NOT buy one without having looked through it and used it. I did that with a scope from Cabelas for my dad and was sorely disappointed.

Many of the top end scopes have digiscoping adaptors available.
    DG: Agree on the "fly before you buy" thingy. One reason I like the place I indicated....you have 30 days..no reason needed to return a purchase...no guff from them. You can get a top notch Swarovski from them for about $1600. An 80 mm with fluorite glass..well...LOL...your talking $2000

Digiscoping can be very good. I attended a workshop by Donald and Lillian Stokes, renown Birder's. Once you get a scope check out to see if they have any information on their techniques.

Thumbs up

Sully, thanks for the Eagle site. I did talk to them and they where very helpful. I did settle on Eagle Denali binoculars.
    Again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donat View Post
    Sully, thanks for the Eagle site. I did talk to them and they where very helpful. I did settle on Eagle Denali binoculars.
    Again thanks
    Glad I could help!

+ Reply to Thread