Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to?

Blog Entries

Default Late September...

Tight cover behind you.

No obvious hatches.

High banks......root system.

Where would you cast and what with?

I'd start with a soft hackle fly and try and float it under the cut-bank with the tree roots. Given it's September I'd probably opt for a dark red body. From what I can see casting is going to be a bear - probably beyond my ability. The photo is cropped pretty tight so I'm guessing somewhat but I'd likely lie flat or maybe up on one knee but crouched low almost opposite the cut-bank and do a half-hearted (half-assed?) roll cast up stream and pay close attention to the leader watching for a strike.

I can see the angle of the sun is low but I can't tell for sure if it is in front of me and to the left or behind and to the right. If it is behind and to the right that will limit how far down stream I can move to get across from the cut-bank where I am expecting a big brookie to be lying in wait. Also, I'd be worried about walking heavily. It might pay off to get in position 30 minutes or more before casting.

This is the kind of fishing I enjoyed in my 20's and early 30s...it's been a while since those days.

Greybeard

Agree with Grey on alot of what he has said. Remember a saying from a wise fisher..."Bright day, bright fly. Dark day, dark fly." Like the eddy forming just under the roots hanging. Though the right also looks promising by the log jam and 'marsh' grass , though not much cover for a fish to hide.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

+ Reply to Thread