Thread: Recent flies

Threaded View

Default Recent flies

Here's some flies I tied recently:

This is a beadhead PTN. A lot of folks on here seem to like them, so thought I'd give it a try. This is one of my first attempts at this fly. I think I could've done better with the peacock herl thorax, but overall not too bad, and it should catch fish!

Below is a beadhead Clouser Swimming Nymph. I used possum dubbing for the abdomen. Looks like there's a big gnarly guard hair sticking out of that!

Below is another idea for a crayfish pattern. It seems ok, but still not exactly what I'm looking for. Getting closer, I think.

This is a Griffith's Gnat. I used brown hackle instead of grizzly. I don't know why I did that.

And the one below...well...its ugly, but there's a story that goes with it. I took my daughter to her practice last night. I had nothing to do for 1.25 hrs, so I'd brought my vice, some chenille, krystal flash, scissors and whip finisher. Might as well tie some flies, right? Yeah! Figured I'd tie up some of the SHWAPF patterns I like to use for bluegills right after ice-out.
    Well...I forgot the THREAD!! ugg.
    So, the abomination below is what I tied without using thread. Actually, I tried to use krystal flash as a thread-replacement on this one. I had problems with the chenille spinning on the hook shank well after I'd tied it down. So...yes, I KNOW its ugly! I'm not convinced this thing is going to hold together very long either. I doubt I'll forget to bring thread next time.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 01-22-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO