+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new salt fly rod and reel

Hybrid View

Default new salt fly rod and reel

I am looking for a new salt fly rod and reel. I visited bass pro today and was not impressed but new to the this sport of salt fly fishing. I see Sage on this site for multi hundreds of dollars and praise for the product. I just don't want to spend those kind of bucks.

I moved to the coast and played a lot of golf. I had bought a driver from Walmart for $20 and used that to drive the ball farther than most of my opponents at the club with the latest and greatest and most expensive equipment available. What is it about fly equipment that we should spend so much money? This question will probably bring on comments on my ignorants but I am old enough to take it. Lloyd

We're all new at something at some point. There is nothing ignorant about your question, I went through the very same issue a while back. I'm very new at fishing the suds too.
    I got me the Redington Crosswater for my saltwater fishing. It's one heck of a set up but for around $ 110 (2 piece) and around 140 (4 piece). It comes a compound reel with a smooth drag the extra spools are only like $ 20.
    I wouldn't spend more than that in a setup right now.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 01-22-2010 at 01:24 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Redington, Cortland, Temple Fork Outfitters, Ross Reels Worldwide, and St. Croix just five companies that sell flyrods that work find for saltwater angling for less than $150.

I have a Cortland 8/9 rod that was $80 that works fine. Now it is not as nice to cast as my $300 and $600 Sage rods, but it does get the job done.

The Redington Crosswater combo's that Martin mentioned are excellent for getting started in the salt. You can find some St. Croix Premier model rods in 8 and 9 wt for $65 if you look. They can be found closeout discount.

Quote Originally Posted by cucuy View Post
    I am looking for a new salt fly rod and reel. I visited bass pro today and was not impressed but new to the this sport of salt fly fishing. I see Sage on this site for multi hundreds of dollars and praise for the product. I just don't want to spend those kind of bucks.

I moved to the coast and played a lot of golf. I had bought a driver from Walmart for $20 and used that to drive the ball farther than most of my opponents at the club with the latest and greatest and most expensive equipment available. What is it about fly equipment that we should spend so much money? This question will probably bring on comments on my ignorants but I am old enough to take it. Lloyd
    1) What sort of $$ are you wanting to spend?
    2) What "speed" of rod are you most comfortable with and cast the best?

Your not going to purchase a fast action rod of highest quality for $100 which unless you are proficient as a caster, be able to handle properly.

Your $20 Walmart special speaks a lot for your proficience as compared to your golfing partners, but when the grip comes unglused and the head flys off your Walmart driver...they might well be rolling right along for a long time at their lower level of profiency with the higher quality clubs.

You need to set a $$ level that you are willing to spend and then cast some rods to see what sort of rod you do best with.

Personally..Id NEVER buy a combo outfit.

Im looking at things now and what kind of fish im catching. Right now my two main rods are both St Croix's. I have a couple Avids and a premier. I mainly throw my Avid 10wt and Premier 9wt. The avid has sinking line on it and the 9wt usually has Int or Floating line. I can't tell a huge difference between the $300 rod and the $100 rod. The avid does feel lighter and I can cast a little bit better but I get tired faster with that one, especially if im throwing it with heavy sinking line.
    I would buy the new one they make the RioSanto and try that out in an 8wt. Im in the market for a new 8wt for this season. Im really trying to get a Scott but I would settle for a St Croix.
    I catch stripers and blues. I would probably have a nicer rod if I was tarpon fishing or something like that. I get through with my St Croixs for now.
    Also, they have great customer service!

Joey

+ Reply to Thread