+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dumbest rod/line/fly question ever.

Question The dumbest rod/line/fly question ever.

Good Day All,
    I've searched the magazine and the forums and I'm probably not searching the right way. I have an 8 weight, 9 foot T.F.O. TiCr-X and Scientific Anglers 8 weight Saltwater line I'm planning to use in the many areas of the Chesapeake both salt and fresh. What range of fly sizes and weights is it designed to carry? All my dad did, when I was a kid, was to fish either the popping bugs labeled for bass, or the trout flies, my grandfather supplied with the bamboo rods he loaned or gave to my dad (no, no rods or flies are for sale). Unfortunately, some years have passed, Granddad's passed on, and I have only sparse knowledge in regards to fly fishing as my father has not actively pursued it. Are there any fly/hook weight guidelines to use within the ranges of line and rod weight designations one should use when tying flies and selecting them for use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jeffblk72; 01-22-2010 at 08:29 PM.

I can't help you, cause I'm dumber than you when it comes to that kind of fishing, but you sure came to the right place - welcome! Someone will be along shortly to give you all the information you need.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Your set up is a good one for redfish, speckled trout and strippers, as well as for big largemouth bass. But is on the heavy side for smaller bass, trout and sunfish. Fly size for a given rod/line is related more to wind resistance than its weight. You should have absolutely no problems with throwing the standard flies for the quarry you seek.

Blog Entries

The answer is, in my opinion, "anything you can cast with it". There's no rules to this. That being said, at some point the flies will be too wind resistant or heavy to cast WELL with the setup, and using it to throw #18 blue winged olives is a bit overkill (careful when setting the hook with 6x), but there is nothing to say you cannot do it. An 8wt is capable of throwing some serious flies in the right hands.

Take it out and try it and see what works for you. After all, you will be the one actually doing the casting, and thus the only opinion that really counts.

That rod and line will handle flies between sz. 6 and 2/0, basically covering most everything you'd likely to use in the Chesapeake. 1/0 deceivers and clousers being likely canidates. It will do a good job of throwing poppers for largemouth and smallmouth also. A sinking line would be good to add to your arsenal for the stripers, weakfish, croakers, blues etc....You've got a good starting point, some time on the water will tell you a great deal more about what you need. I bet you'll hear a lot more chatter when it gets to the Susky flats catch and release season. Make sure your casting is up to snuff before you try to cast weighted flies like clousers (dumbell eyes), they can be a bear and dangerous to your rod and yourself

Charlie

Default Re rod/line/fly

Thanks for the responses,
    My last catch on an 8 weight was a 2.5 largemouth but the bream run up to a pound and a half in some cases here. We just bought the Betts poppers at the local Bass Pro and a 3 popper assortment by Cortland at Dick's Sporting Goods. I've made poppers in the distant past and would like to tie my own and get into the subsurface offerings too. Some of those flies and bugs can run as much as the crankbaits we buy and it must be cheaper to make your own. I plan to get a starter kit soon but would really like to make sizes and patterns that produce as opposed to me looking like an idiot at the back of the boat. As for saltwater, I know we get some huge Reds and Specks and a local guy took a 40 pound striper about two weeks back on a fly. I'd like some of that action.

What DG said is absolutely true and you will find that the more you use it the more you will be able to cast with it. I hated weighted flies when I first started using them. Now I don't think that much about them, except when I make a bad backcast and have to dodge the fly.

Before you buy a tying kit check this website, I am pretty sure there is some guidance on starting to tie flies on it. Might help you get off to a better start.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Agree with DG. You should be able top do anything with that 8 weight.
    I used mine once (cause it was all I had) with 6X and #24 dries....even the 6" fish were fun on that 8 weight.

Makes more sense then going after 6 lb fish with a 3 weight (but that can be done also)

Jeffblk72 ...........
    I just checked the TFO site and the TiCr-X 8 weight comes in two different lengths.
    7' 6" and a 9' model.
    Now, I have the 7' 6" model which I purchased for Campeche and Baby Tarpon this coming summer. I got it for the tight areas in the mangrove forests that the infants like to hide.
    I have not fished it yet but have done a fare amount of practice casting with it and can tell you that it is a rocket launcher. The loops are tighter than the normal longer rods can carry and I am sure that you will enjoy the rod if this is the model you have.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Default Oops

Sorry Folks, I meant to say 9 foot, 8 weight T.F.O. TiCr-X I'll correct the above.
    Thanks DickM
    Last edited by Jeffblk72; 01-22-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction

+ Reply to Thread