+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backwinder hubless fly reel~rare

Hybrid View

Default Backwinder hubless fly reel~rare

Hey folks, tough times call for tough measures~up for grabs is a beautiful, and rare fly reel-a Backwinder. These were made for a very short time, and are collectible now as the company (to the best of my knowledge) has gone under. Made in Norway to very fine tolerances, mine is the "trout" size (line wt. 4/5) in the champagne color. Condition~like new. The company provided only a small black fleece, draw string bag as the "pouch", but it has stitched on it a small "Backwinder" label.

I've never seen these for sale in North America, and have never seen one come up for sale used. I believe the original selling price was approx. $340-$350 US.

My asking price is $375 (+actual shipping costs) which I think is fair for a reel of this quality, and for a reel that will only increase in value. I will take photos of the actual reel for anyone interested in purchasing it, and get them to you as soon as possible. For now, a couple of links to get things rolling!

I think this is from Australia, so disregard the $ value listed.

http://www.flylife.com.au/library/ta...ackwinder.html

The best photos I've seen of this reel, and a (presumably) a good write up if your German is better than mine! lol Mine is identical to the center reel in the top photo;

http://www.fliegenfischer-forum.de/backwind.html

Thanks,
    TZB

That IS stylin'!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Style is only on the surface underneath there are ball bearing and nylon seals. That is an awesome fishing machine. The legal fees (from the divorice) would probably be prohibitive. Unfortunately, I don't expect to catch a fish that would require such a reel any time soon.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

That is cool! I'm in the same boat Uncle Jesse! I could a) have that reel or b) stay married. Must..... Choose..... Option b!

In all seriousness, thats really not that much money when you look at offerings from Sage, Abel and others. ZugBug's definitely has the coolness factor working too.

TZB

If I were you I would not sell that reel ever. It is too nice to part with it. Also as you say next year it will be worth at least 400 and year after 500.
    If you really need to sell it wait till it is at around 1000 dollars. At least then you know why you are selling it and it will only take 5 years.

Bump to the top! Probably won't bump this again folks, so if interested, please contact me.

Cheers,
    TZB

+ Reply to Thread