There is a post right now in the "things wanted" forum from a soldier deployed in Iraq looking to get into fly tying. This got me thinking. There has been an ongoing project on another fly fishing board to get materials and tools to our troops. Basically the idea is similar to a swap. One person coordinates the project and various donors send extra materials or old tools that they no longer need. The whole package (maybe more than one) is then sent to a unit in Iraq, or another service area for that matter.

I'm not sure how exactly it was determined where to send the materials that they would get the most use, but perhaps the soldier who made the post could help us with that. If not, then I'm sure that I could do some research and get an answer. One of the guys that worked on that project is a friend of mine and I will ask him the next time we talk.

Unfortunately I do not have the time right now to coordinate something like this myself, but I think it is a great idea so I thought I would put it out there. If someone is willing to take the lead I certainly could find some things to donate.

JeremyH