+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shooting Heads and Multi Tips

Hybrid View

Default Shooting Heads and Multi Tips

Can someone provide me with a quick primer on the differences between shooting heads and multi tip lines like Rio's Versitip? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages? Are they advisable/usable/practical in any line weights below a 6 wt? What recommendations would you have for a multi tip system? RIO, SA or Orvis?

I like the idea of being able to fish different depths with just one line and one reel/spool and have been thinking about getting one of the multi tip or shooting head systems, but want to make sure I understand the differences, etc... before pulling the trigger.

There are several different systems on the market. The multi tip lines have a 15' head. The RIO shooting heads are a 30' head.

Its nice to be able to swap out the different heads. They work great for me Bass Fishing and Salt Water. They don't cast as nicely and accurately as an integrated fly line. They don't work very well when fishing rivers for trout with the floating head.

For trout I prefer spare spools and integrated fly lines.

If you are going lighter than a six wieght I would say forget about multi tip lines or shooting heads and just use a selection of Poly leaders, you will be suprised how deep you can get with a fast sinking poly leader and they are easy to change to suit the depth and current.
    If you are fishing heavier rods then the multi tip lines can be an advantage, but they do hinge a little bit and the floaters can be hard to mend at distance.
    All the best.
    Mike.

I use shooting heads for about 70% of my fishing, in both fresh and saltwater. Shooting head systems are intended for distance casting and not as effective at shorter ranges, though they can be used close in. Contrary to Lucky489's experience I find that they cast just as nicely and just as accurately as integrated lines. I often use shooting heads for casting flies for bass tight to structure along shorelines. Shooting heads are typically 26 to 40ft in length with 30ft being most common and probably the most versatile. With shooting heads you can switch out heads of different densities for floating through deep presentations. You can also use different types of shooting lines such as single strand mono, braided mono, single strand PVC, or shooting lines that are basically level floating or intermediate lines. Different heads and shooting lines can be mixed and matched depending on your need. Aside from the benefits of distance casting, shooting head systems are typically better when you need a deep presentation or need to quickly get down in a current since a high density lead core or tungsten based head can be matched to a mono shooting line to create a line system that sinks fast and stays down. Rods should typically be matched to a 30ft shooting head 2 line weights greater than the rod's rating. Skilled casters can easily make casts over 100ft with shooting head systems without any false casting.

Multi tip lines usually have 15 ft interchangeable tips in different densities. They are more effective at shorted distances than shooting head systems, though you still need to get the 15ft tip outside of the rod tip to cast them most effectively. Multi Tip lines are usually made in a weight forward design, with the belly and running floating. The perform more like conventional fly lines. You typically match a rod to a multi tip line rated the same as the rod.

Integrated lines are basically shooting heads factory mated to a shooting line. Teeny T series, S.A. Streamer Express, and Rio Outbound are just three examples of such lines.

+ Reply to Thread