Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
The loop connecting my regular hand-tied leader to my line is going to be 20+ lb. test.

The loop connecting your leader to your line is going to be 8lb test for a 4 wt rod.
Why isn't this a recipe for disaster?

Otherwise, I'll tell you, that looked damned interesting.
Start with a smaller weight line.

For inshore saltwater 7wt rod, I use 12|10|8lb for the leader. This yields approximately 48|40|32lb butt section, and 24|20|16lb midsection. Then I tie (loop to loop) whatever tippet material I want to fish with. Generally, I carry 15lb, 12lb, 10lb, and 8lb with me for tippets. On my saltwater lines, I generally start with a short stub of 50 or 60lb hard mono

For my Warm water 5wt rod I would use 8|6lb test max. I have used 4lb mono, but generally I target small fish when fish warmwater species.

The guy who taught me to hand furl says that he uses 2lb mono to make freshwater trout leaders in this fashion.

I will also say that I am far from being an expert. I really consider myself to be a beginner. I also tie regular tapered leaders using blood knots. I personally like the hand furled leaders the best, and I use them most often in most scenarios.