+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best purchase

Hybrid View

Default Best purchase

What has been your best purchase toward ff and why?

You mean after the first rod, reel and line??? Best money spent??That's easy...

Lessons with a professional.

You need the rod, reel and line to participate...BUT catching fish isn't really about the kind of gear you have...it's knowledge that gets you in the game. All the rest of the hardware is just fluff to make one feel better.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Blog Entries

Default FFF Membership

garb72,

For me I think my best purchase in the world of fly fishing has been my membership in the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF).

I have my Sage rods and my Orvis reels and all the other neat little things that we just have to have, but my FFF membership has opened so many doors to different worlds for me. I am retired and my whole retirement is based on fly fishing, fly tying and working as a volunteer for the FFF.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Normand Guest

a $10 raffle ticket at a trout unlimited auction that won me a winston 8ft 6in 4wt im6 rod

and my sage 8ft 9in 3wt LL
    Last edited by Normand; 01-17-2010 at 11:36 PM.

#1 is the basic gear I bought to start fly fishing. If we can't cite that, it would be the basic gear I bought to start fly tying.

Catching with a fly I've tied myself enhances the fly fishing experience. I enjoy tying as a hobby in its own right. The act of tying enhances my ability to day dream about fishing.

Well, I have bought way to much stuff this year, as I have just got started. Waders, vest, 3wt fly rod from albright, and I ordered a Peak tying vise, but it isnt here yet, and a ODC classic. I'd have to say though the best money I have spent, was when I bought some gas last February. I took a day off and drove down to Tullahoma and met Jack Hise for the first time and made my first trip fly fishing. Now when my wife fusses about all the money I've spent, I just tell her it's all Jack's fault.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Finding the rod that fits so nicely it becomes an extension of your arm.
    Even though I'm grinning every chance I get to fish, that rod just makes the grin that much bigger!

hNt;
    Thanks for the kind words. Your wife can blame me for all your purchases!!

My best "Purchase" was not realy a purchase. It was setting up the first Michigan Fish-In. What a great and grand time that was! I've now been to the last 2 Idaho Fish-In's and about to attend the 5th Michigan FI. We've even had a few Mini Fish-In's down here in Tennessee. I do plan to be back in Idaho this year!

Meeting other members of FAOL is a great investment in your fly fishing experiance! Try it, you'll like it!

First quality rod and line. I toiled with cheap junk for years and never really got the hang of it. I bought one of the old Orvis Clearwater combos 10 or so years ago and with that the shop owner offered to take me fishing and fix my cast. My fly fishing grew exponentially that day.

Aside from that, tying lessons. 7 bucks a class for 6 saturdays, I believe. Best $40 I ever spent!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flywatersmallie View Post
    First quality rod and line. I toiled with cheap junk for years and never really got the hang of it. I bought one of the old Orvis Clearwater combos 10 or so years ago and with that the shop owner offered to take me fishing and fix my cast. My fly fishing grew exponentially that day.

Aside from that, tying lessons. 7 bucks a class for 6 saturdays, I believe. Best $40 I ever spent!
    I have to agree with that, even though my quality rod and line would still be considered cheap junk by some...LOL
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread