On 1/13th, this nymph pattern was posted and I liked it and decided to play with it some because I respect the gentleman who posted it and also respect his opinions on things even though I have never met him.

This pattern is so easy to tie and I just had to try it. I had every color of ostrich except the orange, so, I tied up other combinations and tried them on one of my local rivers this past Friday and Saturday. Water temperature was 39 degrees and there was some ice along the edges. I made the following changes to his recipe: I added 5 wraps of non-lead wire on the hook shank, I applied an under body over this with punch yarn (just to give more body) and I twisted the ostrich around the bobbin thread before palmering just to make it more durable. I tied up some with a tan tail and body with a black head, some with an olive tail and body with a black head and some with a white tail and body with a gray head and they all produced fish. Overall, I caught, in the 2 days fishing, 18 rainbows, 3 spotted bass, 9 bluegill, 6 crappie, one sauger and 6 black perch. Needless to say, I love this pattern and can hardly wait to try it this spring when things warm up a little.

If you have not tried this pattern, I think you may be missing something. It is very easy to tie and the color combinations are endless.

Thanks for sharing this Steve.

Here are three of them: