Buddy -

I think we are virtually on the same page in almost all respects, now that we got some of the language out of the way.

I am a big fan of tying nymphs and wet flies "in the round." I've mentioned that in several other threads and won't dwell on it here since it could be a thread in and of itself. My favorite streamer is also tied "in the round". The problem I would have with tying dry flies in the round is two fold. I do think that in a lot of situations the fish are in position to see the wing and it is a trigger. Also, having a wing of some kind can help float the fly and helps me see the fly. Take away the floatation and visibility issues, and I would probably do some dries, at least, "in the round."

Certainly in some places at some times, there are "selective" fishies. But I sometimes wonder if that is, most often, the angler's excuse for simply not catching them, whatever the reason. Same thing for the socalled "Ph.D." fish. The idea excuses those who don't or can't catch them, and boosts the ego of those who do.

John

P.S. My signature is not really about the fish being "right". It's a reminder that it is up to me to refine my timing, tackle, and technique and apply my experience to the situation at hand. The best of all fly fishing experiences for me, is fishing new water and catching some of the local trouts.