+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9 wgt line on 8 wgt rod..?

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
    BFW, if you ever venture north for stripers, you'll find lots of people who regularly put out 90' plus, every cast. Some are using switch rods and homemade shooting lines to reach 125' every cast in the surf. You may understand your fishery and its needs, but, I wouldn't make such glittering generalities about saltwater. I regularly overline my rods to throw big flies.
    And by the way, we don't lack for wind. As I don't go south, I won't even think to comment on what's right in your fishery. All I know is what has very succesful for a few decades north of Boston.
    bluefish...I dont have to venture north for stripers...I have caught hundreds....one of the easiest fish to catch....BTW I can say whatever I want to...I grew up a long time ago son...
    Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 01-21-2010 at 02:50 AM.

Default Opps...

Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. I doublehaul on any and all rods, from 3 wt up. (I'd do it with even lighter rods if I had them.) The intent of the doublehaul is to increase line speed. It is CONTROL of the line which make fly fishing successful. In speeding up the line itself you can reach further yes, but also successfully cast into that 35 mph wind. And something to note here, the doublehaul uses both hands, so you cut down the effort required to cast. You don't get tired as fast and when you're old like me, or fighting a bum shoulder, you need all the help you can get. Once you learn it and practice so it becomes the normal natural thing to do your catching will improve because you will be getting the fly to where you want it.
    There is a good video of Castwell doing the doublehaul in the Chat Room...take a look, it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. I doublehaul on any and all rods, from 3 wt up. (I'd do it with even lighter rods if I had them.) The intent of the doublehaul is to increase line speed. It is CONTROL of the line which make fly fishing successful. In speeding up the line itself you can reach further yes, but also successfully cast into that 35 mph wind. And something to note here, the doublehaul uses both hands, so you cut down the effort required to cast. You don't get tired as fast and when you're old like me, or fighting a bum shoulder, you need all the help you can get. Once you learn it and practice so it becomes the normal natural thing to do your catching will improve because you will be getting the fly to where you want it.
    There is a good video of Castwell doing the doublehaul in the Chat Room...take a look, it's free.
    I wholeheartedly agree...I cant help but haul every cast because its really the best way with minimal effort...line speed is the entire name of the game for distance...just like in boxing, speed is power

Good Lord fellas! I never intended to get a fist fight started!

I WONT go to using a shooting head..so thats out right off the bat!

I do need to learn proper "hauling" and have already booked casting instruction 2 diffferent times and places. Not much hauling needed fishing 30-35 ft wide streams that are knee deep.

I do thank everyone for their input...especially the deal about the tapers...Lord I didnt realize there was THAT MUCH difference in tapers!!

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    bluefish...I dont have to venture north for stripers...I have caught hundreds....one of the easiest fish to catch....BTW I can say whatever I want to...I grew up a long time ago son...
    Didn't mean to offend. I've been at it a long time too. Sorry if I stepped too hard on your opinions. I apologise, but I'm not your son.
    Last edited by bluefish; 01-23-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Default doublhaul

Interesting Lady F. Recently watched Joan Wulff's video on the DH-probably one of the best explanations/video I've seen on the topic. Anyway, even when she was trying to demonstrate casting w/o the haul, she couldn't help but give it a little tug.

Default DH w/Mel

See if you can get some insight from Mel Krieger in this video...(there's a few seconds of ads before Mel starts.)
    You wont even need your fly rod in your hand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcE-9WPuZ04
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday Caster View Post
    See if you can get some insight from Mel Krieger in this video...(there's a few seconds of ads before Mel starts.)
    You wont even need your fly rod in your hand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcE-9WPuZ04
    Ive got his video that clip was made from

+ Reply to Thread