I got out of the hood today and met up with some guys from my FF club to wet some flys. There were 6 of us fishing and one guy with a video cam. I've got to tell you. I've had better days on the water.
It was a balmy, still, 50 degrees F when I arrived. One guy was leaving muttering something about tying flys to immitate trout hatchery pellets??? There was no wind and the water was moving slow. A few fish were rising to a light hatch of some sort. I never saw any bugs. I tied on a size 16 EHC and dropped a beaded nymph I got in a fly swap. It was tyed by SJO on this board. About 3 roll casts later I had a hookup on the nymph. About 30 seconds later the dropper leader came off the EHC.
I tried about a dozen different combinations as well as just dry, streamers, midges, yadda yadda. Nada. Oh, I had a few bumps, nudges and heart stopping swirls near my flys but no takers'
I landed one stick, Caught a very large cottonwood tree. Even had a chain link fence on and released it safely.
I know. The thing is I got out to go fishing for the first time this year. I also know why it's called fishing, and not catching. I only saw 2 fishes landed by the six of us. One on a nymph and one on a dry that looked suspiciously like a trout pellet from a hatchery. Tight lines in 2010. Jim