+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there such a thing...fly rod

Default Is there such a thing...fly rod

Is there a 10' 4 or 5 wt fly rod made? I'm not finding any in the catalogs I have.

Wouldn't a rod that light and that long be rather whippy?

Rusty <><

------------------
    "PC" is for Plant City not Politically Correct. if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

Sage makes them in the XP. They are softer than the shorter XP's. Check em out.

-Jude Duran

The Dan Craft FT line is another one to consider.

Dorber has some 10 foot rods, too.

The 10-footers are more common in Europe, I think. You might want to post this question at sexyloops.com since a lot of foreign anglers post there.

You could also search for an English fly shop that ships to America. Here is one shop that I have dealt with:

[url=http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/:759d3]http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/[/url:759d3]

They handle all types of fishing. The owner is Mike Stone - nice guy.

Call Dan Treadway of oregonfishing.com
    Spendy but he will have one made for you at approx $200...that is a blank.

It was posted here somewhere that a person bought his 3wt at H & H but I called them and they no longer have a 10'. So at one time they did....so don't bother checking with them....they no longer carry a 10 footer.

Dan Craft has a 4 piece moderate fast action 10' 3wt but don't know 2006 price. Last year was $104 for the blank.

Dorber (dorber.com) has a 2 piece 10' 3wt blank full flex for $60-$66 bucks approximate for a blank, (don't know modulus but that is very inexpensive) I think $9.95 shipping and no sales tax. They also have one assembled for $135.

Good Luck and if you build one, pls post or let me know. I just bought a 10' 4wt 2 piece moderate fast action from a private person....don't know where he got it. Wondering how to build it. Originally wanted a 3 wt and intend to get Dorber's and build it also. Particularly interested if you get the 10' full flex and check it out on the CCS system. Would like to know the specs. OOOPS ......I have been so interested in a 10' three wt I rambled all this. Then re-read your question, it is about a 4wt. Sorry.

Gem

People tell me things won't work....I usually believe them. Sometimes...a little thing in my head says "why not?" THEN I have to do it anyway and find out for myself.

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 30 January 2006).]

TFO makes a 10' 5wt for a very reasonable price. 4 piece too. got one and like it very well. It's a good bit heavier than a 9' 5wt, but definitely a tool worth having in the quiver. I'd love to have the 10' 4 or 5wt XP, but that budget was not allocated to me.

Winston makes one, more info [url=http://www.winstonrods.com/rods/rods_WT.cfm:65db6]here[/url:65db6].

I have an old Sage RPL 10 ft. 5 weight which I like very much, but they no longer make that, not even in the just discontinued VPS series. However, a glance at the latest Cabela's catalog shows the following 10 ft. 5 weight rods available: G.Loomis StreamDance GLX HLS, St. Croix Legend Elite, St. Croix Legend Ultra, and TFO Pro Series.

Thanks guys...I'll check those out...

Here's what I was thinking...though I know it's been said on this board that it's not necessary to go real long for tubing...I kind of like 10' for tubing....I've got a 6 wt 10 footer that's OK esp. for chucking some heavy stuff and fighting the wind....but I'm thinking of those nice lazy days in a tube or toon when I would like something lighter but still good power....so I'm thinking drop a wt or two and maybe a little slower action......

Am I making sense and on the right track???

+ Reply to Thread