+ Reply to Thread

Thread: intermediate or full sink line question

Hybrid View

Default intermediate or full sink line question

Not having done much nymphing, my question is about intermediate or full sink line fishing with an indicator. How is this accomplished? Does one tie the indicator onto the fly line itself?

Or are sink-tip or full sinking lines mostly used for swinging flies?

I would really like to start nypmhing more often, I feel like I am missing somthing. I just am not all that good at it...

Nope...Can't afford lessons.

also not trying to start the old bobber vs. not argument. I actually us a tiny red and white bobber to nymph, and I think I understand the swinging wets/nymphs idea.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Any type sinking line - intermediate through fast-sink would not lend themselves towards nymph fishing with an indicator. For indicator nymph fishing one usually uses a floating line and attaches the strike indicator to the leader according to the depth and speed of the water being fished. A traditional rule-of-thumb has been to attach the indicator up the leader from the fly about 2 1/2 times the depth of the water if fishing a fairly fast flowing river or stream. So, if fishing a run that is about 3-feet deep, the indicator would be about 7 to 8 feet above the fly. I for one don't adhere to this tradition as I usually will attach the indicator about 1 to 1 1/2 times the water depth depending on the speed of flow. I fish my favorite spring creek with a subtle indicator fly (Parasol Emerger) and drop my first fly exactly to the depth that the fish are holding due to the slow flow. For faster water I usually will not exceed 1 1/2 times the depth of the water being fished. Also, I use a newer type indicator called a 'Thingamabobber' as it floats like a cork and is very easy to see and attach to and adjust on your leader.
    Intermediate and other sinking lines do lend themselves to tight-line nymphing as well as swinging wets and streamers, but I think most tight-line nymph fihermen use a floating line as well.
    Anyway, just my thoughts on how I do it.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly covered that nicely.

I use a floating line when high-sticking and most of the folks I know also use a floating line for all their nymphing needs.

I asked the wrong question at the top...I meant to make the question about sink tip and sinking line. Where do you put the indicator on a SinkTip? On the fly line itself, 5-10 feet back? or just watch teh floating part of the line as an indicatory.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Smile

When using a sink tip you strip strike when you feel the fish. The fish's tug is a sure indicator

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    I asked the wrong question at the top...I meant to make the question about sink tip and sinking line. Where do you put the indicator on a SinkTip? On the fly line itself, 5-10 feet back? or just watch teh floating part of the line as an indicatory.
    Re-read what I wrote. No one I know uses an indicator on any type of sinking or sink-tip line, so I can't really answer your question because I've never heard of it or seen it done, sorry. okflyfisher said it best in that when using a sink-tip line the indication is when a fish hits your tight-line offering, because one doesn't normally fish such a line on a dead-drift. Now, I may be way wrong here, and there may be some who do this. If so, speak up, but it's a foreign concept to me.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Maodiver,

Just to reiterate Kelly's point.

You do not use an indicator anyplace on any sink tip or full sinking line. I've never seen, nor heard, of it being done in moving water for any species.

Different techniques and equipment for different applications.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread