I've tied thousands of flies form tiny midges to stacked deer hair bass bugs. I learned to whip finish by hand right away because many of the master tyers do it and recommend it, most notably A.K. Best and Lefty Kreh and several others. It gives you the ultimate control and allows you to tie in ways you can't do with a tool. Once you master it, which doesn't take too long, you can tie much faster with it. I have taught children to do it, so it's not too hard.

You can place each wrap with precision and feel the right amount of tension. (plus it's very strong and eliminates the need for cement in most patterns. You will definitely need super glue on the bellies of bass bugs, but I usually don't use anything on the final whip finish.)

I highly recommend it. Plus, if you can't find the tool, you can still tie flies.

As for your tools, it sounds like you got the right set. As with fly rods, equipment is only as good as the one using it. In other words, expensive tools won't make you a better tyer any more than a Sage will make you better caster. Only practice will.

I have an expensive rotary vise, and a cheap one and I tie just the same on both.

Bill