+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lead beads?

Hybrid View

Default Lead beads?

After seing Jim's question about tungsten, and the responses to my questions about it also, I came up with another question.

We have lead wire for weighting. We have lead dumbbell eyes for weighting.

We have brass beads, brass coneheads, tungsten beads, tungsten coneheads.

Why haven't I seen lead for these uses? Certainly doable. The lead slip sinkers beloved of plastic worm fishermen are just lead coneheads slightly larger/longer.

Lead is heavier than brass. It's cheaper than tungsten or brass. There is no question that it would work, it's the material of choice for jig heads of all sizes, from 1/180 ounce up to pounds. And that's really what adding a weight behind the hook eye of any hook does, turn it into a jig.

The environmental health issues aside, why aren't these readily available?

Anyone know?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

It's all about finish, Buddy. The only real option is paint and it would come off pretty quickly when bouncing around on the rocks.

I think I will make a punch-form and see if I can form them as quickly and easily as I think I can. Using linotype the beads would be slightly lighter, but much harder.
    art

I'll add that I have a few old tying books (seventies era) that deal with beads, but don't mention lead. My guess is that there are properties more important than weight at work here. Hap suggested "finish" in his post, so maybe it's as simple as paints/glazes/whathaveyou just don't bond to lead in an an acceptable way.

Personally, I haven't done any work with bead heads yet, so the above is nothing more than supposition.

Well it isn't exactly a bead and this recipe specifies lead-free shot, but I am pretty sure the original used lead. Anyway this pattern came to mind when you mentioned lead beads.

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-...hernworm.shtml

Another possibility is that lead with a conical hole drilled in it might deform when shipped in bulk, rendering some of the beads useless. And drilling those holes in the first place might be harder if whatever jig holds the bead deforms it.

Pure speculation on my part.
    Bob

I would agree with the shipping issues. Lead is really soft and I could see a lot of beads being flattened in shipping. Also, the harder paints for them (read the ones that stay on) require heat. Lead has a low melting point as well. The dumbell eyes are just painted with enamel so that's no big deal. To paint a lead bead and have it stay that color would be next to impossible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Another possibility is that lead with a conical hole drilled in it might deform when shipped in bulk, rendering some of the beads useless. And drilling those holes in the first place might be harder if whatever jig holds the bead deforms it.

Pure speculation on my part.
    Yeah, it might be speculation, but I bet it is absolutely spot-on!

Lead swages so easily I am certain they would just put a bead in a mold, press it, and remove a beadhead with hole in place...

+ Reply to Thread