+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diamondback Americana

Default Diamondback Americana

I was thinking of picking up a Diamondback Americana 6'-3wt rod for general use in smallish streams and as a backpacking rod for trips into the catskills. Has anyone out there cast one. I haven't yet and i was looking to get a few general impressions of the rod before i do go out and test cast one. Oh and if anyone can compare it to a TFO product that would be great.

------------------
    Good luck to all

Hey rkey,

I picked up the 6' 3wt Diamondback All
    American on closeout at the Cortland
    Factory store last year. It was the
    predecessor for the Americana. Got a great
    price and the rod quickly became a favorite.
    You might check the Cortland store and see
    if any remain. Warm regards, Jim

rkey - I've been an admirer of Diamondbacks for their flavor of actions. The ones I've casted over the years seem mellower (as opposed to zippy) in casting action. For Eastern type ffishing (relatively little wind), I find this style more congenial to fine tippet ffishing and fish holding.

The 2 graphites I have are the All American predecessor to the Americana - an 8 and 9', both 4wts. The 8 footer is a champ at long distance roll casting, uniquely so.

For the bushwhacking that you are describing, a rod that will flip and roll largish flies in bushy surroundings is the ticket, as opposed to one that you would double haul for distance.

I've only casted a couple of Americanas, and only superficially. Diamondbacks are very consistent across the range of sizes, and their design philopsophy shows through clearly.

I've tossed a few of the TFO's, and my general impression with them is their thinking is more in the power arena, rather than up-close-and-personal bushwhacking.

You might consider the Diamondglass models too. Glass sets up differently, especially at close range. I have the 7'4wt which is a delightful dry fly action. The 3wts are softer and subtler, as you might expect. But these glasses are recognizably of the same gene pool as the graphites.
    The 6'5wt might be more versatile for what you are looking for. The old Fenwick glass in the same size is notable for this application.

tl
    les

[This message has been edited by lesyoung (edited 29 January 2006).]

Thanks for the information guys, i really appreciate it. I'm very much looking forward to casting this rod, and the diamondglass series as well, the company sounds like the produce rods with the softer action i like.

------------------
    Good luck to all

I'm looking for the same type of rod for myself. One of the little brooks I fish is all of 15' - 20'wid at it's widest and it's in the woods. Right now I only have 1 rod and it's 8 1/2' so needles to say I loose my share of flies to the tree gods.

------------------
    Some of the best questions are asked by the least educated!

rkey,
    I can't speak for the Diamondback but for the length/line weight I can. I have a 6'4wt Cortland that is a real pleasure on the small streams. My Cortland is Med Fast and I can roll cast in areas where no other rod would do.

SP,
    I know of what you speak. I am a registered defoliante in both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Commonwealth of Kentucky for leaving bare trees on the sides of the rivers.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Hey Rkey,
    I just picked up a very nice rod from "Sierra Classic" custom rods. They built me a super nice lightweight little 5'6" 3wt, in a two piece. It's awesome. I'll admit that it isn't for the longer casts my longer rods make, I'm very happy with it thus far. The quality is great, the fit and finish are top notch, and It just feels very accurate to me. This might sound silly, but it just seems to put the fly wherever I try to throw it. I was a little skeptical at first, but now I'm glad I chose this size, it's going to be one of my favorite rods this spring and summer. You really should check out their site, oh, and there's another company that sponsors this site, called "Global Dorber", they make nice short rods too from what I've been told.

+ Reply to Thread