I'm wondering about making/using a sink-tip line. I generally use floating lines, but have also used full-sinking lines when kayaking in the local reservoir.

Here's the scenario:

A local river generally has waters 5-8' deep in the Springtime. Current flows probably average 3.5'/sec in the main channel, but there are eddies/backflows along the shoreline. Sometimes this area between the main current and shore can be 30' wide or so, and fish can be caught between shore and the edge of the faster water. Limestone riprap lines the shore.

Anyway...especially in the Springtime, I'd like to target white bass here. (There's also the occasional walleye, smallie, crappie or pike, and flatheads, channel catfish, carp & buffalo.) I've been doing it for years with spinning gear, but would like to target them more with fly gear. Its a tailwater area, but the water can still get fairly muddy at times. The whites tend to hug the bottom much of the time, so my usual WF F line MIGHT work, if I use a long enough leader and a weighted fly.

However, I think a sink-tip line, a shorter leader, and an unweighted or even a floating fly (to minimize snagging on the bottom rocks) might be a better approach.

I think I may only need 10' or less of sinking line (?), and I have some sinking line that I can cut to the length I want, and then attach it to my Floating line.

My question is...does anybody else make their own sink tips? And...any recommendations on the best way to connect the sinking line to the floating line? I'd like to use loops of some sort, so I can remove the sink tip when I just want to use the floating line. But I want the smallest knots possible because of all the rocks they could potentially snag up on.

Yeah, I know I could just buy a sink-tip line...but I think most of them have a longer sinking tip than I want, and I really don't want to dedicate a reel/spool to just a sink tip at this point. (If this proves a good technique here, I will probably do something more "permanent" later on.)

Any tips/suggestions are most appreciated!