+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back from Somerset FF Show

Default back from Somerset FF Show

today was low 40's but beautifully sunny in SE PA, so I decided to do Somerset rather than go ffishing (that's for tomorrow). That way, I would beat the weekend crowds. I even learned of at least one bus full of ffishers who were going up on Saturday.

However, there were an awful lot of folks who felt the same way. The parking lots were as chock full as a Saturday in the old days.

Highlights for me were the new booths from places like Italy (also with some interesting cane as well as silk lines) and Germany (Schlecht another cane maker), Roman Moser (Austria, I think), Marc Pettijean (Swiss I think). Yoshida came again, this time with a buddy who had some spectacular wooden tools, nets made from antlers, wooden fly boxes - real works of art. Yoshi had a 9'3" 3wt !!! that was NOT a noodle out of cane he grows in Nagoya. An Irish outfit was again promoting their home waters. And several South American outfits were doing a good job making it easy to start saving up for a winter trip.

Most of the show of course was home grown - quite a few outfitters and lodges. Several gear dealers brought a lot of toys. A fair bit of artistic booths.

Book sellers like Angler's Art and Judith Bowman's displayed a lot of their offerings. And of course, there was the casting area - enough for 4 rods, with monitors to make sure no one hogged the pool.

Our Bill Taylor brought a full array of quads, and co-boothed with Dotman. I talked to Dr. Fish - Mustad/Partridge had a serious and informative space. A number of rod companies brought pretty complete lines of toys (Elkhorn, but also Albright, Winston, Scott, T&T, Echo).

There were so many booths, they spilled over from the convention space into the full foyer area.

This remains the biggest and best flyfishing-only show in the New World in this writer's experience. (though I hear Denver is coming on strong) I've been doing shows since the 70's, when San Mateo and Suffern were the big guns and before the Ed Rice and Furimsky/Serviente juggernauts got rolling. Made it to the 1st few Detroit based fly shows when they were called Bamboo Rod Revivals. Even went to the Dealer Shows when they got started, the 1st one being right here in Hershey, then it wandered around looking for a home till it settled into Denver, one of my favorite towns for business and pleasure (and Avalanche and Fat Tire).

tl and enjoy - those of you who go this weekend
    les

[This message has been edited by lesyoung (edited 27 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by lesyoung (edited 27 January 2006).]

Meant to also add that I cranked a prototype of Kusse's upcoming Leonard reel repro. Nice and gives me a buzz. Classic Fly Fisherman has it out on display.

In the fly tying area, Paralep and Mantis were doing fine.

tl
    les

JC, He has orders for 30. They will be ready in about 2 weeks! Yes, I'm one of the 30
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Was my/our first time to the Somerset show. WOW!!!!! Made some contacts from some of the greatest gentlemen out there. (The rest of you weren't there) Had a list of FAOL members to locate. Fell all too short in that goal. Had my heart temporarily broken while I talked with the wife on the phone about a "sweet" little cane rod...she asked me "what door do you want your clothes set by?" Thanks to those who graciously shared! Mike K. (aka Abe L.)

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

I, and five of the TU club buddies, went to the show yesterday; they always go on Sunday so they can hit the fishing junk (oops, gear) auction at the Ukrainian Orthodox church across the street from the expo center. They all picked up some "bargains".

The FF'ing show was great,as usual. Did you see the influx of foreign rod and reel makers? Liked the German guy with the ferruless bamboo rods. Neat. Beautiful workmanship. Asked him the price on the 6' 4wt., he answered, I thanked him and walked on....

Bought several worm flies and tying materials from Bob Gartside.

The one thing that haunted me all day, and I almost pulled out a credit card, was the Lee Wulff commemorative 6' 5wt. bamboo rod and Hardy reel. Boy, was that self control, or what?

Wanted to see Mark Sedotti casting the 12" flies 100' but he had to cancel.

All in all, it was a great day, not "a waste of time" at all.

Jim

I also made it to the show on Sunday. Missed the 295 offramp heading north from Baltimore and ended up with a wonderful tour of Philli and rural NJ. 4 hour trip vs the normal 3. Uggh!
    None the less, got to meet Dotman there. Saw a few other old friends like Tim Trexlar, world class fly tyer (two golds and a silver at the world championships). He is working with Amato to get a book out on his flies. Tres cool.
    Saw Mike Martinek. He and I meet up all over the world. First met him at the Chatsworth show in the UK.
    Kelly Stalcup, owner of the Slide Inn in Montana was there. We've exchanged flies in the past. He's got some wonderful books out.
    Another guy that I always have a blast talking to is Fishy Fullum. He does some amazing flies.
    The show had a lot less in the way of tying materials. Still looking for some yellow snowshoe. Oh well, will just keep searching.
    Topped my day off by getting harrassed because I put ketchup and mustard on my Nathans hot dog (some people need to get a life). And then I got to really freak out some drivers on the NJ turnpike. Yes, you guessed it, I used my turn signals.
    All in all, a good day.
    Frank Reid

Thanks to all that stopped by and said hello, and to those that added more Dots to their collection. Even tho there was a bit of a language challenge the guys from Italy and Japan picked up some Dots too.

Frank, now how did you really break your
    leg?

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:b3081]FlyReelDots.com[/url:b3081]
    FAOL Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Dot Man (edited 30 January 2006).]
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Five of us from our TU chapter also made the show Sat. Got to talk to some of
    the FAOLers. Dry Fly Guy and myself even had
    on our name tags.
    I was a good show.

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

Jerry, you said you weren't gonna post that.
    Alls I can say is that for those of you that go home from a hard day at work, kiss the wife and kick the dog (and no, I never kick dogs), just remember, DO NOT screw up the order on that. She WILL NOT hand your foot back in the same condition that you delivered it.

------------------
    Frank Reid

Frank,

My apologies, I did not realize you did not want me to mention your leg, just not to say you broke it fly fishing. I actually don't recall if you told me how you broke it.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:34185]FlyReelDots.com[/url:34185]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

+ Reply to Thread