+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hook storage

Quote Originally Posted by terry13111 View Post
    What do you guys use to store your hooks? I have about 20 sizes/types I need to store. I would like to have individual containers instead of a combo unit. Thanks
    Let me know when you figure it out. I have several 1000 sizes/types and in 45 years of tying have never mastered hook organization.

Blog Entries

Ron
    I am with you... Cannot imagine how someone could get along with just a few dozen hook boxes... of 14 varieties each...
    art

the little travel pill boxes for hooks up to size 10. You know, the ones we put our pills in to go on vacations...each with a diff day of the week. you can label the boxes, if you write small. the lids stay on tight, and they usually give them away at pharmacies, if not sell them really cheep. you can even get the ones with 4 rows for each day of the week, making a total of.....uhhhh....math......head hurts.....28 compartments...whew.

I have one with really small compartments for the little bitties. I think I have about 5 of the things, and keep similar hook types in various sizes in each.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mason View Post
    Let me know when you figure it out. I have several 1000 sizes/types and in 45 years of tying have never mastered hook organization.

I primarily fish small streams for wild brook trout. My fly selection is minimal.

For small hooks (#8-#30) I use a 1x2 ziplock bag with the label of the package in it and slide that into a clear calling card organizer arranged by size. Anything bigger stays in its original package in a box.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Blog Entries

Red face

SOme mistakes I have made over the years...
    A single cover plastic container (standard Plano) with many bins in the box is a good way to have a bad day... The hooks can "leak" to other bins and a single dropping event gets very ugly. The box works fine for big hooks only and there you still risk the grand dump...

Think ahead when buying... Mustad 94840, 94845, 94842 are basiclly the same hook, standard, barbless, and up-eye respectively. Up-eye is perfect for tiny flies... but just buy each of all the sizes whether you use them or not... not all of each the way I do it!

Plan ahead to keep from moving them around a lot within the boxes, even if it means holding space for hooks you expect to buy later...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    The hooks can "leak" to other bins and a single dropping event gets very ugly. The box works fine for big hooks only and there you still risk the grand dump...
    LOL---Did all that---thats why i limit my exposure to only one zip-lock with 100 hooks---I had an orvis box that had a tight fitting lid so the hooks didnt mix but my elbow hit the lid and +/_ 2000 hooks went on the floor
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Default Abutnaty

I use containers as identified by Normand.
    Go to: www.leevalley.com
    in their woodworking section under storage are several available items.
    They have these round containers up to 2 3/4 in. diameter.
    Larry

I still throw all my hooks into one of three plastic "shoe box" things that I've had for years.
    At least I have managed to organize my feathers, fur, and fuzzy things onto peg board.

I think this habit will be a hard one to break.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Blog Entries

Wink

Those like me who have had hook dropping accidents also learn that magnets are a fly tier's best friend. A little piece of magnetic tape in a hook box makes the contents a single object rather than a random scattering of sharp and pointy things the same color as your carpet. Think TMC 25-packs (magnets can be reused in other boxes)

I have never found a hook storage setup I really like. What works well for larger hooks fails on smaller ones for me. I end up with a multi-compartment box with a magnet in the compartment with the hooks stuck to the magnet, but that large box doesn't fit in the travel box, so...

More stuff, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread