+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hook storage

Default Hook storage

What do you guys use to store your hooks? I have about 20 sizes/types I need to store. I would like to have individual containers instead of a combo unit. Thanks

For most freshwater stuff I use the 21 compartment hook boxes that go for about 7 bucks. It makes it a lot easier to find stuff than sorting through a zillion hook packages. If you go that route, just make sure the lid closes securely.

You could start with one and then add more sorting them by type of hook--- one for dries, one for wet fly hooks, one for nymph hooks, one for streamer hooks etc.

I haven't found a great solution for larger saltwater hooks yet, and just keep them in their original packaging and go through a bit of an egg hunt every time I need something.

mark

For individual storage of hooks I found that I have a lot of friends that take meds. Through their generous contributions of pill bottles I am able to store all that I want. Each bottle is labeled with Hook size, type and number.

Normand Guest

i use one very similar to the following foto. mine has more individual containers and i got it a walmart. containers are clear plastic with screw on lids

obviously streamer hook are not going to fit in these round containers, so i just leave them in the original package they came in and store them in those rubbermaid plastic shoe boxes
    Last edited by Normand; 01-13-2010 at 03:48 PM.

I use the same box Normand uses. In the craft section at Wally World. I have one for hooks, one for beads and one for misc. little stuff. They are chear so you can see which container to pick up. Lids screw on and close tightly. Best I've seen.

I have WAY too many hooks.

I have two of those multi drawer chests, both have someplace around twenty drawers in them.

I label the drawers and put the hooks, in their original containers, in the drawers. I usually separate by hook style and size. Some of the drawers are lagers than others, so there is a place for large hooks and for smaller ones.

When I ran out of room, I put a couple of genres of hooks, long streamer hooks and jig hooks, into separate plastic shoe boxes.

I'm afraid to count them all.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

This is what I use. I label each cup with the hook info and brand. When I need a particular hook, I just spin it and remove the cup with the hook size I need. I also keep my dubbing in these cups labled with brand and other info. When tying a particular fly pattern, all I need is the cup with the hooks in it plus the cup with the dubbing in it out on my tying table. I find this system very good for me.

http://tidycrafts.net/cart/bead-and-...a69dd73e277fdc
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Norman and ronhenry, are those little containers durable?

i use zip lock bags, one bag inside another. the outer bag has full boxes of hooks, and the inner has boxes i have allready opened. each set of bags contains one style of hook, in what ever sizes i have. all of my matrials are stored in a similar manner. the bags go into ether a foot locker or a couple of sets of plastic drawers i got at walmart. used to use plastic storage bins, but find the drawers easier to find materials in.

Best 10 bucks I have ever spent at Wallies World. Each of the 30 top trays hold two packs of Mustad hooks.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread