I don't want to highjack the lead thread. I'm not asking about envoironmental concerns or anything like that. Not that I'm not concerned about the environment or anything.

I have another concern, he's 5 years old and watching Tom and Jerry reruns at the moment. I got my little budding fly fisherman a fly vest and a fly box for Christmas and I want to fill it up for him. Of course he's to young for actual fly fishing, but he loves to fish. He asked me to tie some flies for him so I started tying. As we'll probably be after blue gill the pattern isn't really important but for him to cast it I need to get some weight on the fly.

I am using a number 8 Eagle Claw hooks from Wal-Mart. (they look enormous next to a fly hook) I have also put on bead heads and wrapped with lead. I've only fixed him streamer or wet flies, so that he can feel the strike and hopefully catch a fish with them. I've put on copper wire for ribbing to add weight also. I'm just not getting the flies heavy enough for him to cast very far.

I've read where some people will add floats to the line to get the weight and I may have to do that, but he has more control of his casting without a float. I'd rather not add the float, but I may have to. Any ideas of a way I can add more weight for his flies?

thanks in advance,
hNt