+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First patterns?

Hybrid View

Default First patterns?

I am going to try tying gold ribbed hares ear, pheasant tail, and wooly buggers for my first patterns. My question is on the hooks for these patterns. For the nymphs, can I get by with the same hook or do I need two different hooks. For the buggers, what # XL hook should I get? Meaning, 1XL, 2XL, 3XL, 4Xl? Also, do I need a curved hook for a caddis pupa or will a straight one work just fine? Also a question on beads. I plan on tying the buggers in size 4 or 6 or both, and the nymphs I'm thinking size 14-18. What size beads should I get?
    Last edited by fishin' fool; 01-12-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I have been using a size 10 2x heavy nymph hook for my Hare's Ear. They are Tiemco (TMC3769). I have also been using size 14 2x long #730 Dai Riki for Hares Ear.

I bought beads for the size 10 hooks and they are 5/32 counter sunk beads by Metz.

I don't know those are right right but the Hare's Ear look fine and in proportion to me on both...
    Last edited by vmabuck; 01-12-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Cold Guest

Those nymphs will work on the same hook.

Buggers: 3X or 4X long.

Caddis Pupa: straight would work, but the curve will give them a better look.

Beads: Its not critical, just use good judgement.

NOTE: For trout, those buggers are kind of big...The largest trout buggers I fish are 8, normally. For the nymphs, start big (#14), and work your way to smaller sizes.

HTH

You've gotten good advice-- here are a couple more choices and some info on bead and wire sizes for you. To some extent hook shape/wire thickness will affect bead sizing, but this is pretty good ballpark:

For buggers, others may disagree but I think a size 8 would be a better all around choice for trout in most places

Mustad R73-9672 3xlong 50 pack about 8 bucks

Bead size 5/32" or (4.0mm) for sizes 8-10

Bead size 3/16" (or 4.8 mm) for sizes 4-6

Nontoxic "lead substitute" wire .030" or .025"

for Nymphs yes you can use the same size hooks for both--- though I tend to tie PTNs in smaller sizes 16-20 and Gold Ribbed Hares Ears mostly in 10-16. A good choice for both to start would be a size 14.

Mustad R73-9671 (2 xlong) 50 pack about 8 bucks

Bead size 1/8" (or 3.5mm) for sizes 12-14

Bead size 7/16" (or 3.0mm) for sizes 14-16

Non toxic "lead substitute" wire .015"

Ultra wire size "Small" copper and gold for ribbing nymphs

Good luck!

Thanks guys. Thinking about it, a size 8 bugger does sound better. Thanks for clearing me up.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Hi Fishin' Fool,

If you're just starting out, I would recommend working on the woolly bugger first. And tie a bunch of them. It's easier to work on the larger hook at first. I would also recommend a pattern I submitted for the just old flies and stuff article, Fletcher's Fuzzy Wuzzy. I suggest this because you could tie using the same hooks and these are two of the patterns we always start new tiers on here in New Zealand. After those, we would go with a Parson's Glory (which is a matuku style streamer). You should be able to find a link to the Fuzzy Wuzzy in the reader's comments forum, and also check out the Fly of the Week Archives, way back to near the very begining, where you'll find a step by step for the Red Setter (which is tied exactly the same as a Fuzzy Wuzzy, only using different colours).

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Here's a link for bead/hook size recommendations (English, not metric):
    http://www.arricks.com/tying/beadchart.htm
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=68

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread