+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pimp Your Jon Boat

Default Pimp Your Jon Boat

I thought it might be interesting to show some pics of how we have improved our jon boats. You know, what you have done to make fishing from them easier and more fun. I haven't done much to mine yet but I have some fuzzy ideas like a foot controlled electric motor so I can fish from the middle seat. Or maybe doing away entirely with the motor and just using oars. Maybe some outdoor carpeting for the deck so I don't make as much noise. Let's see some pics. I need some new ideas.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I can't make photos at the moment but a couple of ideas I have used on my 14 ft. I put a deck, only the width of the bow seat, over the bow seat, , I used pressure treat pine and mount a trolling motor mount there and I have a seat mount there. This gives you maximum distance from the guy in the back seat. I wired my boat where I can put my battery in the middle of the boat and have trolling motors fore and aft so both fishermen can keep themselves in good position. I have terminals mounted under the small deck with a very small hatch door where the trolling motor wire clamps attach. This minimizes wire above the deck and interference with fly line.

I have a high density styrofoam (scrap from a hot tub cover manufacturer) between my ribs and 1/8" aluminum covered with "astroturf" fastened down over the ribs. The aluminum was given to me so cost was not an issue with mine, it replaced 3/4" plywood which was too heavy. A lighter plywood is workable using an exterior or marine grade, if you wanted to mount a pedestal seat it would require. This quietens the boat and adds floatation. Don't use styrofoam that will absorb water here and be sure the rib channels are clean to allow water to run out.

I have some pretty nice upholstered seats for my boat, another scrounged item, I have them where they are easily and quickly removed when the boat is parked outside so weather doesn't ruin them.

My drain plug is attached to the transom with a short piece stainless steel aircraft cable so it doesn't get taken or lost. It will not install itself however.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 01-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

For a foot control trolling motor go to Bass Pro website serch item #38-531-958-00. I am not good enough on a puter to post a link. Its a clamp on foot control no big mount or drilling.

I spent the entire day today thinking about fishing from my jon boat. The only thing I have to do is wait for ICE-OUT. When I row my boat, dragging a wet fly, I can just about promise a great day of fishing. The only problem I have is that with the oars in my hand, going backwards with my fly rod in a rod holder, the only indication of a strike comes from watching my rod tip starting to dance. Very successful way of fishing, but I miss feeling the take with the rod in my hand. Maybe I'll just have to stop whining and get used to successful days of fishing. I love the tussle from take to net, but I miss the feel of the take.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    It will not install itself however.
    Sounds like there is a funny and embarassing tale in there somewhere Uncle Jesse.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Early morning, pitch dark, wet feet, need I say more. A learning experience.

Wondering now how to attach bow and stern anchors controlled from one seat. I know, bow and stern pulleys with rope dogs. Anyone have any pics they would like to share?
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I pimped mine out to somebody else and bought a portabote. Nothing wrong with it but the portabote fits on the roof rack.

I fish from my jon boat in non-moving water so I don't use an anchor much but would running anchor lines through opposing pulleys mounted ont he side of the middle seat onto a single winch work? Drop and retrieve both anchors at the same time.

Default De-pimped my jon boat

Joe, i went through what you're wanting to do and had comfy fold down seats, minn-kota and was thinking about upgrading to a foot control model, i have had many fine days of peaceful flyfishing out of my 14 footer and my 11 footer. Downsized though because it became a hassle so i sold the 14, and all the goodies from the 11...returned to how i used to fish from it...take it to a lake, row to the other end, leave the oars in the water and the boat on any breeze would troll my fly and i caught a lot of nice wild trout that way. Since my hands were free, i could hold the rod, reach for the beer or pat the black lab any ole time and once the wind put me back at the start, i'd row back and start again....sometimes on a wind shift i could get several hours of flyfishing and rubber neckin' in without ever touching the oars. Well, except to go ashore every couple hours to check lakeside foliage.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread