howdy.

i live in houston and have been doing the urban fly fishing thing...mainly the bayous, drainage 'ditches' and park ponds...for the past couple of years.

i would say the number one attraction (if you don't want to drive 3-5 hours) within the city limits is carp. they are fairly plentiful in the bayous and are definitely the best challenge/fight.

that said, i've caught 2-3lb LMB, ~24" cats, and sunfish too numerous to count (out of the bayous). There is a park (meyer park i believe) up on the N side of town that has double digit LMB in it (FL strain was planted there in the 90's), but casting is a pain (you need to get out about 60 feet to hit the drop off, but there isn't any room to backcast).

if you want to drive a couple hours, this time of year we actually have trout fishing in the hill country...the guad is a tailwater fishery and it stays cool enough to sustain trout...access is the issue there.

check out the bass pro in katy, as well as the FFF chapter here (www.texasflyfishers.org).