+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm water fly fishing in Houston, TX area

Default Warm water fly fishing in Houston, TX area

I was just informed by work that I may be heading down to Houston for about a month for work. Anyone with info on good fishing this time of year within a hour or 2 of Houston would be greatly appreciated. Not to worried about species just looking to wet a line. Oh and I love to wade rivers.

Thanks for any help that may come my way.

Salt water might be an option but that would cause me to buy a new rod reel not a total problem
    Remember we all live down stream

Hi Scubatim,

Look under the archive "feature" articles of "panfish" for articles from a while back written by "hillfisher."

He had a lot of articles on fly fishing the Texas hill country. Some of the articles included where to go to fish and how to access the streams.

One thought. Be careful about access. I am a non-native Texan, and was told many years ago that Texas has some pretty fierce trespassing laws, and some property owners strongly have them enforced. Was told that it can cost you a bunch of dollars if caught trespassing.

Thus what I am saying is pay attention to what Hillfisher says about access, and do EXACTLY what he advises. You might phone the Texas wildlife folks also while you are down here about the access and trespassing questions, and also where to go to fish.

There also some lakes down there that have superb carp fly fishing.

Regards,

Gandolf

For south Texas it's been a cold winter so far and the warm water fishing has been slow. The best place to go this time of the year is trout fishing on the Guadalupe River in the hill country. It maybe be a bit of a drive from Houston but well worth it. Just my 2 cent's.

Blog Entries

http://www.texasflyfishers.org/ is a good bet. This is the fly fishing club in Houston.

As was mentioned earlier, its been inordinately cold this winter so some local intel will be vital.

There are plenty of bayous, creeks, ponds and rivers in that area as well as the good old Gulf of Mexico not too far off as well. Galveston Island is within range as is Port Bolivar and a few other spots.The State Park there on Galveston has some back side wade areas.

Again, I'd hit up those Houston guys.

Blog Entries

I don't have the URL, but once upon a time I blundered across a blog by a Houstonian that discussed where his fly fishing in and around Houston and Katy. There were some publicly accessible creeks and parks that had some very acceptable fishing, IIRC. As always, beware of the wildlife (snakes, gators, fire ants, wasps/hornets/bees, skunks, oppossums, Girl Scout cookie pushers, etc...).

However there are no fish in South Dakota or Tennessee. Just ask Betty.

Ed

Remember Texas is a very large state and travel there is normally measured in days not hours. To cross Texas at the lower part of the state took my family two days to get to Mexico. Granted we were not in any great hurry but...

Lake Conroe is about an hour north of Houston. However by the time you get that far out have passed many farm ponds you should be able to fish.

What I would recommend is talking to your work hosts and see what they suggest.

EdD Did you say snakes? I hate snakes.

Everyone else thanks for the info.
    Remember we all live down stream

The Bass Pro Shop at Katy will have a fly shop, it's right on I-10 and there used to be a fly shop across the street (north) of the Galleria Mall and Westin Hotel. There is also a Oshman's sporting goods in the Galleria area, just west of the Intercontinental Hotel, where G.H.W. Bush used to buy fishing tackle, all of those can probably direct you to water. I don't know how far south of Houston you have to go to get into Redfish, but somewhere along the south Texas coast there is a world class fishery.

Houston is a city of around 10mm people, what part of the city will you be working in?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scubatim View Post
    EdD Did you say snakes? I hate snakes.

Everyone else thanks for the info.
    Tim, SNAKES!!! Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, coral snakes. Everything with venom lives in Texas (except for the even worse stuff that lives in Australia). Now you know the inspiration for the song "All my Ex'es Live in Texas". Texas has snakes. Welcome to the South. At least they also have fish. Tennessee has snakes but no fish. Just ask Betty.

Ed

Ed, Ed, Ed. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

Tim,
    The snakes don't like the cold any more than I do. You shouldn't have any trouble with them 'til about the first of March.

This time of year, on the North Gulf Coast, fresh water fishing is kinda tough. That water is COLD. That being said, the fish still gotta eat.
    Even in the Gulf, the water temp, as of 2 hours ago, is about 42 degrees. Given a couple of days of 60 degree temps, that'll come up about 10 degrees.
    There is water all around Houston, you'll just have to ask around that area to get more specific info.

Be forewarned, the people in Houston drive like maniacs! Controlled chaos.
    Have fun on your new posting!

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread