+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: went and done it

Default went and done it

Since 2003 my wife has been on me to get a collage edamacation. Went done on the 5th and applied for a collage to get a certification in paharmacy tech. Will go back the following year and get a degree in science. I will still be working a full time 40 hour a week job and attending school at night. So for the next year begining in Febuary I will be on here very very little. I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I just feel at 56 I may be spinning my wheels. We shall see. Question for you collage people. Is 37 credits in 11 months a lot?

Congratulations! Big step but it should prove worthwhile.

I was taking 18-21 credit hours per term (about three months) in school. That was full time school, no work. You look like you are averaging just under ten hours per term which should be manageable even with work and family. It will test you and you'll have to make some sacrifices, but it's achievable.

Good Luck!

Assuming you are on a semester schedule and not quarters, it averages out to 12 credit hours a semester (assuming you take a full load in the summer).

That isn't to bad. I worked my way through college part time, and loaded out to about 15 credit hours as my maximum. Most of my colleagues who have gone back to school take 9 credit hours if they are working full time.

Hope this helps. You won't have a life... but after it is done, you'll be very proud of the degree.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Normand Guest

dnot froegt to teak a splleig calss!

good for you! i like taking classes at my local community college. i dont do the credit thing since i;m not going for a degree or anything.
    Last edited by Normand; 01-07-2010 at 07:57 PM.

A very big congratulations! Is 37 credits a lot? That's about an average year of credits, but it's also a loaded question. Because you haven't been in a school environment for a long time, it's going to feel like a lot at first. You have life experience, however, that will pull you through. Remember, nothing is a lot if you really enjoy it. Good for you, and great luck in your new adventure.

Congrats! Ive got my fingers crossed for ya!!

Atta boy, Bob!!! It'll be tough at first, no doubt. But the reward of knowing what you've accomplished will be well worth it! You can do it!!!
    John

8. Default College Education

Congratulations! I am a retired Neuro-psychologist with 5 college degrees. My educational experience was extremely important to be and among my proudest accomplishments! Go get 'em!

Marty

Bob,
    It is never too late to go back to school, although it seems tougher when you have family obligations. Put your vacations on hold. Plan on studying every night. Remember a lot of science classes have labs, so you might want to take it easy on the course load. I went back for my M.S. at age 44. It took me 4 years doing it part time while working 40 hours a week. I usually took 2 classes (with their associated labs). Persevere and you'll make through. That sense of accomplishment is worth it and when your done you have a marketable skill and extra cash for new gear. Good luck.
    Ray

You can do it Bob. I'm reminded of the story I heard years ago told by someone famous. A 56 year old man said he wanted to get an education but thought it was usless because he would be 60 years old when he finished. The guy he was talking to asked him, "How old will you be if you don't go to school?"
    My youngest daughter will be 31 this month. She is married with 4 school age children ages 6 to 13, and works as a librarian in the school district 4 hours a day. She will be taking 8 classes between now and June so she can finish her BA. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread