+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite New Fly '09 ??

Hybrid View

Question Your Favorite New Fly '09 ??

I've only come up with a handful of original patterns in the five plus years I've been fly tying. '09 proved to be a real success for me in that regard, with a couple really good new flies, and one that will be my go to terrestrial for a long time - the FEB Hopper.

Shown here with the only good sized grayling I've ever caught, and maybe the only one I will ever catch.

Follow the link for a thread posted shortly after the pattern was tied and tested. Within that thread is a link to a slideshow ( post #16 ) showing the tying sequence, using pics taken to be included in a Fly Of The Week submission.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=29639

Sooooo .... how about posting up with your favorite new fly from '09, whether of your own design or one that you happened across that really worked for you ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Sorry, no new flies for '09. The '08 and earlier models still catch plenty of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Sorry, no new flies for '09. The '08 and earlier models still catch plenty of fish.
    As far as that goes...some of the 30's...40's and 50's models dont do badly!!!

Blog Entries

Amen, Sully. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

End of digression, back to John's original thread...

PS. John, that is an awful purty purple spotted whitefish in that there photo!

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Dennis -

I was virtually certain that you would chime in with something along these lines. And there is much truth to your observation, and Sully's, about old flies. BUT all those old ones you guys like were new at some point, and when they were new, were likely better than the ones that preceded them.

This wasn't a matter of fixing something that wasn't broke. It was an idea that worked. It isn't the "latest and greatest", it's just a fly that caught me a bunch of fish, and one that others tied or experimented with with good results.

Don't mean to sound defensive, if I do. Don't have to defend a fly that has proved itself for a bunch of folks around the country.

Hopefully others will share a fly, or two, that they came up with in '09 that worked, or came across somewhere and had good results with.

John

John,
    I think you already know about this one; Foam Back Royal Coachman.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...032309fotw.php
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    John,
    I think you already know about this one; Foam Back Royal Coachman.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...032309fotw.php
    Joe -

For sure. I had some really good fishing with that fly. I can't tie it nearly as well as you do, but even mine caught a few fishies. Thanks for bringing it back today.

John

I tried DG's "Trout Chow" fly in a few different colors and did really well with it. Also caught a good number of bluegills on a dragonfly-looking nymph/streamer I came up with.

My number one fly wasn't a "new" one for me though. Can't beat the orange bead head leech.

Tried a new pattern (to me), e/c cutters caddis (with red), while in the golden trout wilderness, couldnt keep the Golden's off of them that weekend, worked awesome in my "home" waters as well!

Blog Entries

While helping with the Fly Fishing Merit Badge program up at Scout camp, I was watching a presentation on matching the hatch. Another instructor was in the little outlet stream from the lake and was picking up rocks and showing the scouts what bugs were on the bottom. He pointed out one particular scud and I thought, "I got the stuff to tie something like that with me!" I went in the 15-20 ft to my vice and threw together a bug. Back out and tied it on my tippet, another 15-20 ft to the lake and flipped it out. Had a brookie on it almost right away. It's been a go-to fly for me since.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread