+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vest/pack

Default Vest/pack

I like the idea of chest/backpacks, but I have yet to find one that doesn't slide up to my chin from the weight in the backpack. Do they make one that stays in place on your back? I've tried 3 and they all do the same thing with as little as a can of soda and a small bottle of water packed in it. Add a raincoat and a few fly boxes and the tug of war between the front and back begins.
    Bruce

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I like the idea of chest/backpacks, but I have yet to find one that doesn't slide up to my chin from the weight in the backpack.
    Bruce
    i havent seen a chest pack that still lets me see my feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    I havent seen my feet in years!...OH..I see what you mean now....

nighthawk Guest

I have the Downs Chest Box set up in the middle and love it. Available from E. Hille Anglers Supply in South Williamsport Pa.

Here is a link. Mine is like the one in the center only in tan:

http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/sho...om.asp?recid=8

Really nice product and the box lids fold out to make a nice work bench. I do recommend the optional rod holder though.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    Hey my feet are proof positive that nothing grows in the shade except fungus.

Default Good Try

Thanks, Guys, I think.
    I guess it's going to be "a fete" getting answers to my post! I never had any trouble locating my feet, all I need to do is follow the smell. And...if you can't see your feet--don't blame it on the chestpack.........................Ha!Ha!
    Bruce

I think what you want is a pack that is built on a traditional backpack suspension with a chestpack that clips onto the backpack straps. Look for solid backpack straps and maybe a waist and / or sternum strap. Fishpond has a few.

I like the idea of chest/backpacks, but I have yet to find one that doesn't slide up to my chin from the weight in the backpack. Do they make one that stays in place on your back? I've tried 3 and they all do the same thing with as little as a can of soda and a small bottle of water packed in it. Add a raincoat and a few fly boxes and the tug of war between the front and back begins.
    Bruce
    I've noticed that same phenomenon with my packs, whether they are the backpack type with a zip-middle vest-style front, or the center chest pack front. That is one reason why I prefer a fanny-pack style gear bag. Its good as long as you don't plan to wade too deep!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Bruce

Stop shaving and oiling your chest.

I've tried over the years to use a number of chest packs. Never could find one I liked. This past Spring I tried the Fishpond Blue River pack. I use it primarily as a side carry, but it works great as a chest pack as well. I like the fact that it works well in front, or slung to the side. I am sticking with it & would recommend it to anybody.

+ Reply to Thread